problems installing distributor rotor

kenwin30

5+ Year Member
hey guys, got the cover off and now i cant get the rotor off, i see the screw i need to unscrew but i cant get to it, and the rotor wont turn by hand, how do i get this thing off?

RonJ

Banned
Briefly flick the ignition key to ON(III) until the rotor screw becomes accessible. Note: Don't crank the engine with the cap off as you could blow the coil.

kenwin30

5+ Year Member
ok, i got it, thanks ron, now the car still isnt starting, tell you what i did today, new thermostat( car ran hot last nite for the first time, just stabbing at it) new plug wires today also, and now the car wont start, it turns over and everything, just wont fire up, any ideas ron?

RonJ

Banned
There's a critical ground wire attached to the thermostat housing. If it's loose, corroded, or disconnected, the engine won't have spark or fuel and therefore can't start. Check that ground.

If the ground is fine, then turn the key to ON(II) and listen carefully for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds in the rear. Do you hear it?

Next check for spark using this method.

Any CEL codes?

Also make sure you connected the plug wires in the proper firing order on the distributor cap. The cylinders are ordered 4-3-2-1 as you go from the distributor to the timing belt.

kenwin30

5+ Year Member
hey ron, i checked everything out and it seemed ok to me, let me tell you this, when i changed the thermostat today and unhooked the hoses the coolant seemed to go everywhere, could the coolant got on something and may be causing the car not to start?

RonJ

Banned
With respect to coolant spraying, stay focused on the basics. So you are saying that the thermostat ground wire is tight and clean, the fuel pump primes, there's bright white spark at the plugs and no CEL codes, and the firing order of the plugs is correct, right?

If so, then check the mechanical timing and, if it's fine, then compression test the cylinders.

kenwin30

5+ Year Member
appreciate your help ron, but i will have to let someone else check this, i dont know that much about this s**t, and i could have messed something up who knows, i got the firing chart off another website and it was different than the one you gave me, and i switched to yours and the car almost cranked up, alot better than it was doing, so its probably something small, but it will have to wait another day. oh yea what fuse am i looking for in the fuse box under steering wheel?

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
What fuse are you looking for?

My guess is that you can solve this problem yourself and save some money. Good luck.

dgreenawal

5+ Year Member
Ron: I've been reading the distributor rotor thread with interest. I've got a 92 VX and am wondering how to get the rotor off. Is there any danger that if I get it lose that it can fall intothe distributor and cause "problems?" Is there a pecial tool/scredriver needed to get the set screw loose? Thanks

Edison Carasio

When I changed the rotor on my GF's dizzy, I actually took the dizzy off and took it inside and did it at the table so I could inspect everything. Her originally dizzy was all rusted up where the rotor slids on and I couldn't pull it off.

alabaster2513

I believe I am having rotor problems on my 91 1.5 liter. I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor yesterday and got on the highway and lost power about a mile down the road. I felt like when i replaced the cap it did not align the same as the previous one did. I can get the motor to idle and rev but there is a very loud knocking that appears to be coming from the 2 cylinder. I have double and triple checked my firing order. Is it possible to have put the rotor on incorrectly? And if so how do I go about getting it on properly?

darksolderx

5+ Year Member
There's a critical ground wire attached to the thermostat housing. If it's loose, corroded, or disconnected, the engine won't have spark or fuel and therefore can't start. Check that ground.

If the ground is fine, then turn the key to ON(II) and listen carefully for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds in the rear. Do you hear it?

Next check for spark using this method.

Any CEL codes?

Also make sure you connected the plug wires in the proper firing order on the distributor cap. The cylinders are ordered 4-3-2-1 as you go from the distributor to the timing belt.

hey i did this today ron , however i turned the crankshaft counter-clockwise, is that ok?