Project: 1976 Kawasaki kz400

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello all of CC, haven't been on here in what seems like years, but if any of you have an interest in bikes I'll show you my latest find.

I was cruising craigslist looking for a good project for something to do over the winter, well I came across an add for a "76 kawa kz400 doesn't run don't know anything about the bike 250 cash comes with clean title" So me being curious went and saw the bike the next day. Made an offer of 200 cash and he accepted. f***ing sweet. Here are a few pictures from the first time I saw her...

Well yesterday I got her loaded up, got home and got to work. The bike didn't come with any keys but that didn't stop me. I'm basically stripping her down to frame. And tonight I got the engine out after a lot of cursing and wiggling. I snapped a quick pic to show my progress and I guess to pat myself on the back.

The carbs definitely need to be rebuilt and probably the engine as well. I took a quick peek into the engine and found the valves are pretty gummy. But upon kick start it feels the engine has some good compression behind it so I think I might be in luck. Oh boy. So this is my progress so far and tomorrow I will be doing more work. Plans for the bike currently are as follows:

TC Bros Hardtail conversion
Solo seat pan with 3" springs
Black wheels
Smaller front tire
Rear white wall tire (possibly larger size)
Black rims, gold spokes
Black frame
Black tank
TC bros gold chain
600rr front forks
Straight drag bars

I have a lot more to think about what I want to do and everything. I'm hoping to make this a full on bobber. If that fails I'm going with a cafe look. But as of right now I want to get it running and then worry about modifications. Any input or comments are appreciated!

mr00si

nice pickup tuned in til last pic

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
two words

Cafe Racer

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^was thinking the same thing, then he said hard tail :(

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its a good looking bike, not doubt. but i'm all for the cafe style right now :drool:

i'm actually in the market for a 70's honda cb750 cafe :thumbup:

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a good looking bike, not doubt. but i'm all for the cafe style right now :drool:

i'm actually in the market for a 70's honda cb750 cafe :thumbup:
Which would have been my first choice but I jumped all over this, who could blame me for only 200??

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the comments everyone. Well the engine is in FANTASTIC shape. Still has all the oil in there too. I'm ordering spark plugs, wires, a new chain, carb kit, and a battery right now so maybe next week I can get her running.