Project 5th gen Prelude. Anyone have experience with the immobilizer?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So as some of you know, I've had 2 97 preludes for a while. Yesterday I started working on the first one and well, to make a long story short, I stole a bunch of parts from the Auto one because the Manual one didn't have an ECU. I've been trying all sorts of combinations to get the car to run, but i believe the ECU from the auto is preventing the manual prelude from starting. One of the people on some prelude site (says he works at Honda) says that because the ECU was swapped, it will not start with out having "the red key" with correct immobilizer so it can relearn the program. I get that. Makes sense. My problem is this. It's expensive to buy a new immobilizer with a red key.

I would like to get this car running today but people on the prelude boards are so damn sketchy about sharing info about bypassing the immobilizer that the info is pretty hard to find unless you PM someone. Who's gonna give that info up to someone with a few posts like me just trying to get my damn car running. I don't blame them though. I was hoping someone from here may have once owned a Prelude and doesn't mind sharing with me how to bypass with out buying parts.

If I have to pay to get this car running (which i'm just going to sell anyway), the cheapest option is see is to get an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness. Easy.. I have plenty of chipped ECU's. But then I have to wait for the harness to get here and i'm pretty ancy to get this thing going. Oh well I guess.

The combination that works best is this:
5 speed Prelude with original key, key ring, and immobilizer. Using the auto's ECU, the car will actually turn over.

After that I tried to take everything off my auto and swap in to the 5 speed but no dice. I get the green security key symbol and the car will not turn over and fuel pump does not prime. I assume the "brake code" Honda has will cure this so I can at least drive to the dealership, but again.. This info is pretty hard to get out of anyone cause people are so damn sketchy about people trying to take their cars... Makes sense but I NEED HELP!

Anyone... anyone?

Paid $3k for the car... Way too much IMO, but these cars are next to non existent up here so i'm hoping after I get done modding it I can resell for around $7500. I'm vary aware of the Honda market here in central AK so i'm pretty sure I can get that amount or damn near close to. Hoping to not have to spend more than 1000-1500 to get it up to par. I already have a lot of new OEM parts that have arrived. Just need to paint the front and rear bumpers I got (OEM) and then drop it. I don't like the wheels, but like a house flip, i'm going to just clean them up and reuse them if I can.

When I discovered the ECU was missing.

Stealing the ECU from my Auto. I already converted it to manual.

Cutting the ignition "bolts" into "bolts" so that I can drop it and swap it. Did this on my 94 auto to manual swap so it was super easy. That's how I got my DIY tag under my name here :thumbs up

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump for u. Have u called honda?