Protecting fog lights

tcc

5+ Year Member
How does everyone here protect their fog lights from getting chips/scratches/cracking?

Recently got a pair of the square ones and want to protect then from that.
I've researched on Lamin-x and Xpel films but they seem to melt or burn after a while if you're car is not moving.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have had lamin-x on mine for about 8 months. No melting or burning whatsoever.

tcc

5+ Year Member
Trey99EK said:
I have had lamin-x on mine for about 8 months. No melting or burning whatsoever.
Do you have them on conctantly or only when necessary?
Do you have them on while your idling/not moving?

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well they are on pretty much all the time I have my headlights on. Why would I need lights on when I am not driving?

SI-vic lover

5+ Year Member
hate to do this but i cant find those fog lights for a 5th gen ANYWHERE...wheres the best place for them?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok not to be an ass, but dont threadjack

on topic tho, i just bought some fogs too and wanna get a protective film as well, does it really melt? what other kinds are there other than lamin-x and xpel

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HondaSpeedaX said:
ok not to be an ass, but dont threadjack

on topic tho, i just bought some fogs too and wanna get a protective film as well, does it really melt? what other kinds are there other than lamin-x and xpel
Did you not read my post. Lamin-x for 8 months and no melthing. My fogs are always on. You can get rockblocker.

tcc

5+ Year Member
I've done some more research and even emailed Lamin-X. Seems like the melting/burning is an uncommon issue but has happened to some people. Their recommendation is that if your car isn't going to be moving for about 10-15 mins, to shut off your fogs. I guess cuz there's no wind to disipate the heat from the fog lights.

I ended up picking up Xpel protective film instead since there's a distributor in my area.

tcc

5+ Year Member
Trey99EK said:
Hope it works for you. How much was it?
For a sheet of 24"x12" and then some it was around $30CAD = $27USD
and the headlight kit $60CAD = $54USD

The only reason I got the Xpel was that they were "local". Otherwise, I would've gotten the Lamin-X film