pulsating headlights.wacko speedometer?

4gcivicboy

5+ Year Member
my buddies 97 civic ex has been actin up lately. the headlights and interior lights and tail lights all pulsating while the car is running.looks like he has his flashers on going down the road people will even pull over and let him go around.haha! the speedometer went wacko at about the same time the headlights went out. put an alternator in it for him it seemed to fix it for alittle bit but now its back. put a vss in the tranny but the speedometer still goes nuts. anyone have any clues or tricks to try?

thanks!

RonJ

Banned
Did you check whether 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash is blown? If so, replace it and check whether it blows again.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a similar problem... speedo jumps in LOW rpm's anywhere from actual speed to 70... then above 2k or so acts normal. In addition my dash lights tend to get brighter or dimmer sometimes at random moments... would a bad battery cause this? Alternator is brand new.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my last car did that, and it turned out to be the alt. it was new too, replaced it, boom everything was fine

RonJ

Banned
I have a similar problem... speedo jumps in LOW rpm's anywhere from actual speed to 70... then above 2k or so acts normal. In addition my dash lights tend to get brighter or dimmer sometimes at random moments... would a bad battery cause this? Alternator is brand new.
6th gen Civic? If so, you should also check 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash. With the key in ON(II), use a multimeter to check voltage at both metal tabs on top of the fuse.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
6th gen Civic? If so, you should also check 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash. With the key in ON(II), use a multimeter to check voltage at both metal tabs on top of the fuse.
Will check when I get home in a little while. No multimeter here though, so that will have to wait. BTW, sorry for threadjack.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made shitty intake manifolds and shitty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. =)

i just posted this in another thread like two mins ago.

4gcivicboy

5+ Year Member
zb12691- the car is a ex.d16y8 not a y7

ronj-ill check the fuse next time i see him.

the speedometer will lay on zero then jump to 80mph then back down,itll hold half true for a second or 2 then go crazy again.

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a wiring problems somewhere. Maybe when the alternator was replaced some wires got moved and it stopped. Then maybe he hit a bump and it went back. Just check wiring.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the wires still. the service bulletin applies to all.