Put ctr cams and springs in now my b16 is WAY slower help?

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
Hey guys (and gals)

00 civic si

replaced timing belt 98k and water pump

while i was in ther thought i put cams in make my car quicker.... not what i had in mind

i put ctr cams in from HMO motors online. cams were real so dont think otherwise

itr valve springs from acura.

BTW im a Tech with experience!

car runs fine no surge idle errors or anything its just the car is f**king slow as piss

help?

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
im pretty sure its right....
idk i read only a few peps with this problem

i have the tdc marks on the cams lined up and the crank.
wouldnt i through a code? im obd2

theres no running problems ticking or anything... ive always heard that the engine wouldnt run right or at all with timing off.

i used a timing gun its lined up right aswell

ryanM

cars will run when the timing is off, they will just be REALLY slow. and having your timing off doesnt necessarily mean your going to start making contact.

i would check it all again.

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
Ok thanks man i was gonna look again either way, k so what i had a little confusion on was the cam gears (stock) they have up arrows and then they have marks on each cam all data pro states to line up the marks, not the arrows so when i put this together the arrows werent exactly the same. should i line them up to the marks or the arrows?

ryanM

Ok thanks man i was gonna look again either way, k so what i had a little confusion on was the cam gears (stock) they have up arrows and then they have marks on each cam all data pro states to line up the marks, not the arrows so when i put this together the arrows werent exactly the same. should i line them up to the marks or the arrows?
as far as that goes, i'm not sure. i dont have a honda anymore, and when i did it was single cam.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
When the dohc says up, it isn't exactly supposed to be straight up, more toward leaning toward the front of the car. They will have alignment marks so the cam gears should line up w/ the marks, and make sure the engine is at TDC, instead of BDC, and set it up w/ the red timing mark on the crank pulley at the lower cover. From there it is just ignition timing.

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
k well i found out if i lined up the arrows the exhaust cam was off one tooth to the intake side. so i re-adjusted it and now car is quicker but not faster than what it once was... i also got a code 45 system to lean or too rich should i get a fpr?

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
??? i thought type r cams could run in a factory ecu just fine un tuned?... at least thats what i was told....

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
are you sure you have the INTAKE cam on the intake side, and the EXHAUST cam on the exhaust side?

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think your timing is off. and CTRs are tuned with no emissions in mind.. you're running an emissions tuned map

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
i think your timing is off. and CTRs are tuned with no emissions in mind.. you're running an emissions tuned map
yeah well ive seen and heard of alot of people running ctr cams with no tuning at all. First off the cams are a factory upgrade the lift is only 1 more millimeter and the duration is 20 degrees more... im not doubting ive just seen this done before.

so i ran outside and started the car up in warm up it runs fine and when it warms to opperating temp it chuggs and studders. which means its not getting enough fuel because at open loop when the engine is first started cold start it runs really rich to get it to warm up. SO i think my problem is a FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR im not getting enough fuel.

another example i poped off the vac line to the fpr and it runs at 700 rpm fine no surging and thats with the vac line open NOT CORKED! also when i accelerate the engine boggs until i hit vtec and then it moves a bit quicker.

AM I RIGHT???? please correct me if im wrong

ANYONE else?