putter/hesitation

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright so my car has started to do something that's rather confusing. whenever I'm at full throttle regardless of what gear, my car makes somewhat of a puttering sound (best word I could think of) and it hesitates a little in acceleration. I thought maybe it could be my exhaust b/c this is the 3rd winter it's has gone through and it's just aluminized steel but it looks ok. Any ideas?

98_4door

Sexy Cabana Boy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are there any CELs or how are your injectors? does this happen at any lower rpms? i dont think it would be your exhaust.

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no CELs and I haven't checked my injectors. I don't even know how to go about checking them.. Never done it

98_4door

Sexy Cabana Boy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try revvin it when its out of gear. ummmm, just pop the hood and move the throttle. i would listen for any leaks.

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tried it. I don't hear any leaks and it doesn't make the same sounds as when I'm in gear. I'll throw a bottle of injector cleaner in tomorrow and see if that's it

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Just try doing a standard tune up. Replacing the fuel filter and such. Especially if you havent done anything in a long time. Then come back and let us know.

Last edited:

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's about 10degrees outside and we have 2ft of snow. I don't have a garage so doing a full tune-up just isn't gonna happen right now

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol. In this weather no I don't love my car. Pain in the a$$ to drive and I'm sick of the small engine and sedan

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the distributor cap..my car was doing this too...this was what I posted when I found out what it was...it may not be your problem, but its a good place to start.
DredwerkZ said:
I took my car to the shop today for a Diag. checkup...the problem was a chain reaction.. #1..the center ignition coil button on the inside of the dist. cap snapped of and was makin a weak connection. #2..the arcing from #1 messed up the rotor. #3..the arcing from #1 and #2 put a strain on my coil cutting the output in half....SO, after replacing the dist. cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil all is perfect. I had it re-tested on the diag and the honda master tech. said it has the output reading of a 20k mile motor. Its the best mantained 100k mile motor he has seen in a while.
:thumbs up

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes...when I took off the cap the center "button" was visibly broken off, constant pressure is applied to it by a small spring, that also was visible...because it had snapped off, the spring wasnt able to keep much tension...so the connection was weak.

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
....Replacing the fuel filter and suck. ......
Damn :haha: . All this time I was blowing on the fuel line when I should have be sucking!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Red said:
Damn :haha: . All this time I was blowing on the fuel line when I should have be sucking!

:lol: Wow I didnt even notice my typo. But you gys know what I was talking about.

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
:lol: Wow I didnt even notice my typo. But you gys know what I was talking about.
Yeah, but I couldn't let you get away with it :D

black n red CX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the same thing is happening to my car and it started because of the cold weather and snow. i put in fuel injector cleaner yesterday and its still doing it i guess im gonna have to buy new injectors or something its annoying as hell. it feels like the car is going to bog out or like i have a turbo thats breaking up.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
black n red CX said:
the same thing is happening to my car and it started because of the cold weather and snow. i put in fuel injector cleaner yesterday and its still doing it i guess im gonna have to buy new injectors or something its annoying as hell. it feels like the car is going to bog out or like i have a turbo thats breaking up.

These questions also apply to civic1582.
You dont need new injectors black n red CX.

1. A few questions though to narrow some things down.

2. Does it only happen when the car is cold (Belwo operating temperature)?

3. Do you have a Cold Air Intake? If so try reinstalling the stock intake if possible then let me know. (Dont start flaming, its actually a serious question)

4. Does it happen only under acceleration and/or idle?

Last edited:

black n red CX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
These questions also apply to civic1582.
You dont need new injectors black n red CX.

1. A few questions though to narrow some things down.

2. Does it only happen when the car is cold (Belwo operating temperature)?

3. Do you have a Cold Air Intake? If so try reinstalling the stock intake if possible then let me know. (Dont start flaming, its actually a serious question)

4. Does it happen only under acceleration and/or idle?
2. Its happens when the car is hot and cold

3.yes i have a cold air intake and i had it for like 3 years now

4. it happens at idle and under acceleration. i will be stopped and you feel alittle kick like the car is bogging out

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
black n red CX said:
2. Its happens when the car is hot and cold

3.yes i have a cold air intake and i had it for like 3 years now

4. it happens at idle and under acceleration. i will be stopped and you feel alittle kick like the car is bogging out
Try reinstalling the Stock Intake if you have it. There is a little tube that runs down from the intake tube. That is called a Warm Air Intake system. What is does is warm the intake air before it goes in the combustion chamber to reduce hellp control emissions.

If the problem goes away then thats your answer. This type of thing doesnt happen on all vehiclees. it was mainly a issue on late model 70-80's cars. But it happens.

Thats another reason why I prefer metal intakes over plastic ones. If the intake charge is too cold it can cause idle and acceleration issues. But not any during cruising. Then may go away as the engine is warmed up.

Also give your spark plugs and wires a good inspection. Dont replace these if the stock intake resolves your problem.

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok my turn to answer nd4sped's questions.

2. happens on a cold or hot engine

3. I have a short ram intake (been in there for 4yrs)

4. happens only on acceleration

Also some new noises have begun to occur. If I keep the gas pedal pressed down as it's boggin I could hear and feel somewhat of a clunk or click (not sure which word best describes it). What happens after that I don't know b/c when I hear that noise I'm afraid to keep my foot on the pedal. After running however when I pop the hood I can hear a clicking sound coming from the injector area. Also upon making a right turn it sounds like something is dragging which there isn't.

I tried a couple things so far. Yesterday I dumped a bottle of Valvoline Fuel System cleaner in it and today I replaced the cone air filter (was trashed as hell, thought I was just suffocating the motor). Neither one fixed it. I took of the gray cover to my distributor, not sure if that's the cap or the black plastic underneath is b/c I don't see anything under the gray (just a gray wheel or something and a spring). My plugs and wires were changed last winter so I don't think that would be the problem but I will check them anyway.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Well Im gonna rule out the Intake on both. (I know it sounds odd)
Sounds like both of you have a pretty good ignition problem. Before you go and replace the entire cap, rotor, etc. Do a good visual inspection.

DO NOT touch the contact elements with your bare hands. You can also do a current/resistance test with a multimeter on some of the parts.

If you find that a part is non-compliant with a Honda Service Manual go ahead and replace the part.

Especially if the part is outside its milage/month service limit.