putting back the ball joint after tranny

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
ok guys , so i dont end up like this guy:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=108718&page=8&highlight=input+shaft+bearing

i intend to use a ball joint separator to unlock the ball joint, in order to remove my axles and tranny. trouble is, i 'm worried i might not be able to screw back in the ball joint, like the poor guy above. once the axles are back in, is it just a simple matter of bolting back the ball joint on the lower arm into the knuckle? since there was a loud pop when the ball joint separates, will they be a pop sound again once the ball joint is in the knuckkle?

Swee

hol156

5+ Year Member
i had this trouble with my civic, it dont matter how you take it out its going to be trouble putting it back, best thing to do is put loads of oil or greese on the theads next when you do it up you need to put loads of weight on the other side, but thats not always going to do it,
i ended up having to do it up with an gun whilst doing the above, theres no other way around it, good luck.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
as for taking it out, i think i'm fairly confident following the ratchet method:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=887859

its the putting it back in im worried about, specifically getting enough weight on the on the ball to stop it from rotating. can anyone confirm that if the LCA is jacked up, the ball WILL sit tight?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well some say to jack up the LCA in to put some weight on the ball joint? will that work?
Yes. It sort of locks the ball joint in ane keeps it from turning while tightening it. I have done this several times and Had no problems getting it tight.

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes. It sort of locks the ball joint in ane keeps it from turning while tightening it. I have done this several times and Had no problems getting it tight.
another thing to do is to have someone stand on the top of the rotor to put their weight on it while youre tighening the ball joint down. another method is to get an impact and just impact it on then torque it down with a torque wrench.