question about 3 stage vtec

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello everyone, havent posted in awhile but i was curious to know if anyone was familar with the jdm d15b 3 stage vtec motor.
I know you need the p2j ecu for it to work properly with all 3 stages but since they are almost impossible to find i was wondering if there was another fix that could be done to prevent me from always running in 12 valve mode till 5,500 grand when my motor opens up to 16 valve mode and also vtec at same time.
Even if theres a way to bypass 12 mode all together and just have 16 valve mode and vtec would be awesome, i havent really noticed the difference in gas savings anyway.
Or even better would anyone know anyone who has a p2j ecu and wants to part with it, Thanks

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does no one know anything about the 3 stage vtec motor or where i could find a P2J ECU? I know its a rare ass motor and all but figured someone would know something

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You are in PA, just get a Y8.
Even if you do enable the "VTEC-e", youll still be running in 12v. That should hurt your torque when you're racing I would guess.

technoghost

5+ Year Member
Hello everyone, havent posted in awhile but i was curious to know if anyone was familar with the jdm d15b 3 stage vtec motor.
I know you need the p2j ecu for it to work properly with all 3 stages but since they are almost impossible to find i was wondering if there was another fix that could be done to prevent me from always running in 12 valve mode till 5,500 grand when my motor opens up to 16 valve mode and also vtec at same time.
Even if theres a way to bypass 12 mode all together and just have 16 valve mode and vtec would be awesome, i havent really noticed the difference in gas savings anyway.
Or even better would anyone know anyone who has a p2j ecu and wants to part with it, Thanks
the way it works in a stock setup, by stock i mean the jdm engine + the proper ecu.

the 12valve econo mode only engages on third gear and up and will stay engaged until around 3000rpm, which would give you an average of 120~130km/h on fifth gear.

suppose you're on 5th gear cruising, and you suddenly get the urge to go to the toilet, you just drop down your gear to 3rd or 4th and its back to 16valves instantly. well if you want to stay in 5th you can also just floor it and it switches to 16v instantly as well.

12v econo mode does provide efficient fuel saving, 16v+2nd stage vtec is quite a gulper.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you want to save gas stick with your motor.'

if you want pussy, go with a y8 vtak ead..

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you're not gonna get pussy with a y8...:(

keep the d15 and save gas
Ha yeah, thanks, yeah i had a y8 and hated it, matter fact it was soo much slower, this motor has an awesome top end but its just a matter of getting there. I need to find someone to properly wire it so it runs the way its supposed to. Cause as it is now vtec slams in as if i had a type R. Motor goes from all quiet to loud and obnouious and accels really well.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the way it works in a stock setup, by stock i mean the jdm engine + the proper ecu.

the 12valve econo mode only engages on third gear and up and will stay engaged until around 3000rpm, which would give you an average of 120~130km/h on fifth gear.

suppose you're on 5th gear cruising, and you suddenly get the urge to go to the toilet, you just drop down your gear to 3rd or 4th and its back to 16valves instantly. well if you want to stay in 5th you can also just floor it and it switches to 16v instantly as well.

12v econo mode does provide efficient fuel saving, 16v+2nd stage vtec is quite a gulper.
Yeah this is the way im trying for. Only problem is i hear its damn near impossible to wire this motor up in a obd-2b car when the ecu and motor is obd-2a. Plus the ecu is rare as s**t. You wouldnt know where i could find one or how to properly wire this motor up do you? Thanks

jamie langdo

5+ Year Member
yeah i have the exact same engine. just finished the swap actualy. and im having the same problem, i dont have the P2J ecu, so my vtec is all in at 5500 which is nice, but rather have the p2j ecu for it.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i have the exact same engine. just finished the swap actualy. and im having the same problem, i dont have the P2J ecu, so my vtec is all in at 5500 which is nice, but rather have the p2j ecu for it.
Yeah it really is a pain, thats really late i think for a sohc motor too i think. I think the z6 kicks in at 4700 which makes it nice cause i beleive your shifting into vtec unlike this motor where you gotta wait for the lag to end to reach vtec again. Makes it hard when racing people. Do gotta love the top end tho. Now im trying to find a camshaft for this thing and ive heard at least the obd1 version is pretty much the z6 head so i wonder if a z6 aftermarket cam would work on this motor too