Question concerning HP gains, and if i can hang with a b16

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bmoua said:
get some cam shafts, throttle, mani and ground your car...after this you'll hang with a stock si/ls...my uncles 94 ex with i/h/e no a/c and ps...hung with si's,gsr's, and LS's which were slighty modded...i was there...haha.... but hes a really good driver so you have to take that into consideration...
i call bs on that bro. I raced a eg with all that with my b16 and took it like nothing.

SwEeTEK4

5+ Year Member
King Bob said:
127@6600 to be exact my mistake, but still 127 + 15 = 142 still weak
WERD....My B16 put down 155whp and 115lbs to the wheels with intake,headers and exhaust with a slippin clutch and ran a 15.6 at 98mph.I dont think a Y8 would keep up with just a few mre bolts ons.MY boys boosted Y8 at 7psi put down 175 whp and 173lbs ran a 14.6 at 102mph and he could have put down more but his car was running really really rich needed to be leaned out more.So.......that should explain if u wanna beat or keep up with most B series engines either juice up or boost it.If thats your goal i would save my money for a swap or boost leave the Y8 stock for now

thexperiment

5+ Year Member
why does everyone hate on d-series. anyways, since you all say d-series is only good, with turbo. then lets hear your ideal d-series setup, be specific.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thexperiment said:
why does everyone hate on d-series. anyways, since you all say d-series is only good, with turbo. then lets hear your ideal d-series setup, be specific.
my ideal d-series setup is it setting out the car after its just been replace with something much more efficiant.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thexperiment said:
s**t, I don't hate on d-series :???: I f**kin hate on b-series, I have the vids to proove it :D but my ideal d-series is sitting under my hood with a snail bolted on to it ;)

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thexperiment said:
Hate dosent make a stock D slow and love dosent make the b fast (potentialy), Its simple fact the best way to imporve the performance of a d is to boost it but even so you will hit the performance wall much sooner in a d than in a b, hence the reason most people swap.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bmoua said:
get some cam shafts, throttle, mani and ground your car...after this you'll hang with a stock si/ls...my uncles 94 ex with i/h/e no a/c and ps...hung with si's,gsr's, and LS's which were slighty modded...i was there...haha.... but hes a really good driver so you have to take that into consideration...
defvayne said:
i call bs on that bro. I raced a eg with all that with my b16 and took it like nothing.
naw bro trust me bro...this one night my cousin with the 94 civic was telling everybody how he hangs/beats tegs all day...so we all decided to go out to the country and race...i have 5 people to back me up who are all roomates... there was the 94 ex coupe i/h/e gutted ps and A/C, 91 LS 4-door with i/h/e,92 LS 2 door with intake,93 2 door LS converted to a GSR even with a b17 i/e, another 92 LS 2 door with i/h/e, another civic ex coupe but a 93 with i/he, and a Eg with a b16...not sure what he had but he smoked everybody...all night the 94 ex beat everybody except the EG....we were all cracking up like crazy...i'm not saying every D can do this but with a good driver there is hope...

MugenShox

Banned
bizoneoeh said:
If you have to ask others if you can hang with a b16 civic then more than likely you can't
unless u can drive the s**t out of a 5 speed!!!

i think u could hang, but port/polish and some good pistons and a 50 shot should do the trick.. but use nitrous, never quit!!! ull regret it and ur motor will never be the same...

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Alright check this, i know everyone is flaming on me, but i was just asking a simple question, everyone says to swap, but i bet for the $2200 a b16 goes for i can get my single cam to tear on a b16, I do also have another questions, my mechanic said he would swap a super clean complete 99 LS swap in my car, labor and all (with receipts and everything) in trade for my Y8 motor and tranny (header, intake and pulleys too) plus $900 is that worth it

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
I agree with alot of people regarding this thread. IMO (from what ive read, and researched) the best thing to do is boost. I would agree with doing SOME engine mods after, or before to ease strain of boost. Even though the d series is a very tough engine, it wouldnt help to add better pistons or cams. But like Bmoua mentioned. How one drives is a very big part of it. Im a fairly new driver, and ive been beat by people in slower cars simply because they were better drivers. Ive realized that learning to drive your car as if it was an extension of your body adds virtual HP. JUst my two cents though

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go with the swap...damn 900 for a LS...thats a deal especially if you live in CA like me haha....CA carb laws suck....

ej8ster

5+ Year Member
boo

I can out run my friends 05 si, not bragging , i have considerable amount of things done to my d16. sri, dc header, short shifter, megan driftspec exhaust, 12lb act flywheel, exedy stage 1 street clutch. I rape him on the launch then in 3rd we're dead even, and he only has Intake , buddyclub short shifter ( 131whp). :( terbo and build will be soon. i like sohc =) simple and cheap. A ls has like 10 more hp, but they like boost so i think ls would be another good choice in swaps, then ls/vtec / turbo . thur quick Oh and if you arent wanting to swap, get you a comptech cam ,and valve springs, i hear that's a good 14whp, plus tune with cam gear, very good gain, that plus edlebrock manifold with long runners, is hawwwwt.

but that's a kseries, ive never raced a b16

chet baker

5+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:
If you have to ask others if you can hang with a b16 civic then more than likely you can't
i have no problem hanging with a b16 thats stock or like most of them basic upgrades. but if your looking to run with a build b16 you have to boost, trubo or what lm doing this winter j/r supercharger :D
boost will be easy to install and the least $$$$

my car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2367084

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ej8ster said:
I can out run my friends 05 si, not bragging , i have considerable amount of things done to my d16. sri, dc header, short shifter, megan driftspec exhaust, 12lb act flywheel, exedy stage 1 street clutch. I rape him on the launch then in 3rd we're dead even, and he only has Intake , buddyclub short shifter ( 131whp). :( terbo and build will be soon. i like sohc =) simple and cheap. A ls has like 10 more hp, but they like boost so i think ls would be another good choice in swaps, then ls/vtec / turbo . thur quick Oh and if you arent wanting to swap, get you a comptech cam ,and valve springs, i hear that's a good 14whp, plus tune with cam gear, very good gain, that plus edlebrock manifold with long runners, is hawwwwt.

but that's a kseries, ive never raced a b16
my stock EJ8 can hang with my cousins 4-door GSR...(mods-intake)...i hang with him untill early of 3rd gear...but i;m a better driver than him....

JDM_SiR2

5+ Year Member
Single cams have potential mine smokes 99-00 Si's with basic bolt-ons like I/H/E and keeps up with GSR's and i've only lost to an 05 RSX-S with CAI by like 1 and a half.....so just think about it the SOHC isn't that bad of a engine its more like the underdog! Just get intake,header,exhaust, a b-series throttle body and a good clutch and flywheel and you'll be happy! just like driving a stock GSR! Believe me!

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Its nice to know not everyone in here is a flamer, i like the single cam, i think it has potential, everyone can clown all they like, and by the way chet baker your car looks sweet