Question for an electrical guru

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can someone describe to me the resistor i need to turn a 12v connection into a 3v source? trying to wire up a garage opener to my car

kelseymonster

on your right shoulder
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds cool. my garage opener sucks and having one wired to the car would be cool.
i doubt this could help but this is a link to resistor calculator on a friend's website. http://www.codeflux.com/resistors/

Cheapdog

Computer Engineer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, this representation may suck. Lemme know if I should clarify:

*Butchered picture deleted to head off potential confusion*

At the *, you have a 3V source. You can use any value resistors you want, just make sure that the first one is about 3x bigger than the second one. Also, don't go less than about 10000 ohms, or you risk burning them up. When you go resistor shopping, try to get resistors with a power rating as high as possible, but at least 1W. Let me know if you need any more help; I'm a computer/electrical engineer and I should be able to help.

EDIT: wow, the forum really screws up my nice drawing. PM me your e-mail address or AIM nick and I'll send you a jpeg of the diagram.

Cheapdog

Computer Engineer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Let's see if this works; I've never tried to attach a file on this forum...

Also, don't attach this directly to the car battery, unless you can find some monstrous power-rating resistors (we're talking about 50W here). You will need to attach it to a smaller wire that carries 12V.

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome cheapdog thanks alot..ill let you all know how it works and i'll write up a how-to with pics...later

Cheapdog

Computer Engineer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No problem at all. I'd like to do this myself sometime this summer.

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cheapdog said:
No problem at all. I'd like to do this myself sometime this summer.
need to ask a question tho, when i wire in these resistors is there a certain way they need to go on the wire? cuz i know the bands mean something, or can i just attach it on either end?

Cheapdog

Computer Engineer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CiviKid said:
need to ask a question tho, when i wire in these resistors is there a certain way they need to go on the wire? cuz i know the bands mean something, or can i just attach it on either end?
The bands just tell you the resistance of the resistor. Orientation doesn't matter, just make sure you don't switch the two (don't put the smaller resistor closest to the car battery).