Question for you computer gurus...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I currently have a Linksys wireless-N Broadband Router (Model WRT160N). It came with some crappy software called Network Magic, but my free subscription with them has expired, and i dont wanna pay for shitty service....

Here is my question...is there a good program that i can download to manage my wireless router? With the current system, my iphone works sometimes when using the wifi..same goes for my wife and anyone else that comes over. It always wants me to put in the password, but then sometimes says my network is unavailable. If anyone has experience please chime in ;)

cliffs:

wireless router > me
technology > me
im about to throw this s**t out the window

Mad Dog Tannen

Registered VIP
Try doing a "hard reset" by sticking a pin/paperclip in the little hole in the back of it and holding it for twenty seconds. Then go into settings and redo the settings. You don't need to use the setupwizard CD that is included with it. You should be able to type 192.168.1.1 in your browser adress bar and the settings will come up. Then just make sure you password protect it.

sampsas

Has it always done this with regards to reception? How far away is the router from the devices trying to connect? Any other wireless devices (ie cordless phones etc) are around it or near it? What you can also do is get a booster antennea for it from bestbuy... Also after a hard reset when you type 192.168.1.1 in your browser adress bar it should ask for the default username and password.. I do believe that the linksys is no username and admin is the password.. And yes def enable password protection on the wireless part of the router in the settings!!!!! A must!!!

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can open up your router's settings by going to 192.168.0.1 as well. Defaults for most routers are 'admin' for both log-on and password. From there you can unlock or lock your wifi and change around other settings. You can also make your router check mac adresses for approved computers in case you have freeloading, dipshit neighbors like I do.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol Nobody reads the previous posts before posting around here!
People that don't know anything about routers and computers trying to give advice :roll: It's the typical response "Have you tried resetting it?"

Which isn't bad for me, since I usually get calls for this as someone told them to reset their router and modem, now they don't work, I get to charge 75 bucks an hour to fix it :D

The problem he is having is not having to do with resetting his router, but actual reception issues.

You don't need a program to manage your router, as many have said, 192.168.1.1 is where you go to manage your router, but a tool to monitor the actual router, only thing I can think of is DD-WRT. It has the capabilities of monitoring your bandwidth your using at the router level. It's completely free, and it's a really awesome firmware upgrade, I use it on both my WRT54G routers at home.

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Out of curiosity, how old is the router? Don't router's generally "go bad" after a certain while?

I recently had wireless issues with mine. The connection would always drop, I'd have to reset the router and modem at least once a day or 2, and my iTouch could never hold a steady connection. I bought a new one and it was as good as new. Connection never drops and my iTouch automatically connects when I turn it on or unlock the screen.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Out of curiosity, how old is the router? Don't router's generally "go bad" after a certain while?

I recently had wireless issues with mine. The connection would always drop, I'd have to reset the router and modem at least once a day or 2, and my iTouch could never hold a steady connection. I bought a new one and it was as good as new. Connection never drops and my iTouch automatically connects when I turn it on or unlock the screen.
The WRT160N is a pretty new router. I have a 6 year old WRT54G working perfectly.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is it? I don't know by the model numbers lol. I'd have to see pictures.

Ours was fairly new too. We bought it only 2 or 3 years ago maybe, if that. Oh well.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have had nothing but problems with linksys so i dont dig their routers.How many devices are you running on the network? I have heard of people having the same issues you are having with dropping connections from the router assigning the same ip addresses to different devices. You could assign static ip's for Ea h of the devices and see if that helps.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, tried the 192.168.1.1 thing....admin admin wasnt the correct user and password :what:

currently the only thing that i use for the wireless router is 2 iphones, and my ps3, then sometimes a laptop. I have it set up with a crazy ass password so my neighbors can see that i have wireless internet, but cannot connect to it. I have a feeling the problem may lie with the iphone itself, because it always picks up my neighbors wireless internet as a drive down the street, and since its already connected, it will not auto connect to mine.

this is what the home screen for the cisco network magic looks like :what:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im about to throw this s**t into the street, run it over with my truck multiple times, then piss on it in the name of victory.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
linksys you say? if its old school then this is what my default was.

no username leave it blank
password is admin

or better yet, search google for your model number's password. otherwise you may not have a choice but to hit reset.