question on p28 computers

mcivice199_6x

5+ Year Member
I have a 96 dx hatch im going to turbo, since i have a y7 head if i buy a p28 ecu will it still work in the car since the car isn't a vtec. i will be putting the crome chip into it and taking it to get tuned. The car is also automatic. If there is a different route to go please help and thanks. haven't really found a straight answer. Thanks.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
If you look at the white label on the ECU and it says P28-A02 it is a manual ECU.

You will need the following ECU below. Otherwise you can find many other auto non-vtec ECU's on EBAY for a dime a dozen. Non-VTEC auto ecu's tend to sell for quite a bit less.

Automatic P28 ECU part #: 37820-P28-A52

You can sell your P28-A02 for at least $75.00+ on eBay easily.

Personally I say sell yours and buy the one need. Its easier to convert a Automatic ecu to manual than a manual to automatic.

mcivice199_6x

5+ Year Member
i can get p28 comps all day long for my automatic i was just wondering since the p28 is for vtec and since my hatch has the y7 head and is not vtec if it would work in my car if i had crome built into it. will it make my car run funny?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
No. If you put CROME into it, you can turn VTEC off in the "Options" next to "Tables" and "Graphs". Just un-check the "Enable VTEC".

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
i can get p28 comps all day long for my automatic i was just wondering since the p28 is for vtec and since my hatch has the y7 head and is not vtec if it would work in my car if i had crome built into it. will it make my car run funny?
Again you would have to find a P29 Auto ecu for it to work properly.

hybrdthry911

5+ Year Member
i dont think you can chip an auto ecu. but yes if you had a chipped p28 with an obd1 conversion harness you would have no problems even though its non-vtec.