question on removing cylinder head

JpCT

5+ Year Member
i need to remove the cylinder head and i've never done it before...i'm kind of just tackling the project without knowing too much. first question is going to be does the oil have to be drained before replacing the head?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah, the oil has to be drained, theres 10 head bolts, they are 14 mm, loosen them in a criss-cross order, and make sure you use a torque wrech when putting it back together

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what he said and check the U hose that goes from the block to i think the head, it is for raditaitor. its not real hard with the correct tools.

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get a Haynes manual if you can... that's been a lifesaver for me while I've been doing my Mini-Me Swap. But the removal of the head seems really intimidating at first... but once you do it the first time, it becomes a piece of cake, as long as you have the right tools!

Peace and Llove
Eric

JpCT

5+ Year Member
well mostly everything is removed and ready to go. i read up on a step by step on hondaswap but i'm wondering why he took the intake manifold/fuel rail out with the head...theres like 6 bolts connecting it why wouldn't i just take those out and pull the head out alone?

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well mostly everything is removed and ready to go. i read up on a step by step on hondaswap but i'm wondering why he took the intake manifold/fuel rail out with the head...theres like 6 bolts connecting it why wouldn't i just take those out and pull the head out alone?
That's what I did. A few of the intake bolts and mounting nuts are a b***h to get tk but it can be done easy enough.

Peace and Llove
Eric

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When I took my head off (both times), I didnt drain the oil at all. Just let the motor sit for awhile to 1)cool off, and 2)let all the coolant/oil drain to the bottom of the motor. Once you take the head off for the 1st time, its cake work every other time after. It always helps to drain the oil to be sure theres no coolant getting mixed into it. Never hurts. :thumbs up

JpCT

5+ Year Member
thanks guys the car has been sitting for a couple days now. i work so much i barely have time to do anything on it so it gets done a little at a time. cant wait til its done though jesus, the $ i spend on driving the truck to work everyday is killer

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, the oil has to be drained, theres 10 head bolts, they are 14 mm, loosen them in a criss-cross order, and make sure you use a torque wrech when putting it back together

I would suggest draining the oil after replacing the head so that you can also get out any antifreeze that will invariably get down into the oil.
B

wildest5

B16a1 CRX Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have the money you might want to get a port and polish job done as well and maybe even upgrade your cams!! That's just a thought though

B2ohBOOSTED

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
before you worry about cams and a "port and polish" make sure you vlaves and everything look okay not chipping cracking etc... ya theyll be dirty but ovbiously... get a new head gasket also dont reuse the same one your just asking for problems if ya do... let us know if you have anymore questions bro...