Question please help me out all!!!!

zack_18

5+ Year Member
My JDM b16A motor's v-tec kicks in at 4500 rpms. is this normal for the B16a JDM motor or is my ECU been slightly tuned. I have never touched my ecu though ever since i got the motor and ECU. Thanks alot all.

JDM-Hatch

5+ Year Member
It's prob a upgraded ECU...unless you have a Vtec controller.

zack_18

5+ Year Member
no, no v-tec controller installed i think its just because its a jdm motor and not the american version b16a2

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a JDM b16a and mine hits vtec at around 6-ish.

zack_18

5+ Year Member
really. dang man, yea mine hits a 4.5 exactly. i dont know then maybe it is chipped.

AcousticAudio

Built LSVTEC .63 a/r stg3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wtf why would you ever want it to hit vtec that low? I was under the impression there isnt enough oil pressure at that low of an rpm and you can damage the cam or something along those lines.. whoever set that vtec crossover point probably didnt know what they were doing.. I've never heard of vtec kicking in any lower then 5000rpm.

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Idk, on my boosted ITR motor, the guy who did the tune set the vtec at 4k but it was by no means a DD.

92h22eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine is at 4750 on the H.....perfect power band now, no power drop off b4 vtec.

u either have a tune or someone loaded a basemap onto a chip and thats what your running..either way its not a bad thing unless you want your crossover higher...that is cheap as hell to fix and the tuner can tell you exactly what is done to the ecu

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Wtf why would you ever want it to hit vtec that low? I was under the impression there isnt enough oil pressure at that low of an rpm and you can damage the cam or something along those lines.. whoever set that vtec crossover point probably didnt know what they were doing.. I've never heard of vtec kicking in any lower then 5000rpm.
Are you just referring to a B16?

If not, my stock GSR comes it at 4500, and my civic with the z6 did the same.

Z-Tec

5+ Year Member
yeah my jdm b16a had the same problem when i bought it. It was kicking in at 4.7k. I got remapped and the tech set it up to around 5.4k. Just take it to your local import shop.

zack_18

5+ Year Member
i mean i like it as long as it wont hurt my motor, ill keep it there. and thanks alot guys

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my gsr v-tec engage at 5000 rpm

DaMechanicEG/EK

5+ Year Member
vtec kicking in at 4500 is not bad and wont hurt ur motor,,, ppl that think that vtec should kick in at high rpm have never had a fast honda!!! Mid rpm power is wat makes you faster then the other guy that mad a lil more power up top. btw,,, up ecu is mostlikely chiped!!!