Question Regarding Removing D16Y7 Alternator Lock Bolt

desimunda

5+ Year Member
99 Honda Civic LX.

I'm trying to replace the alternator belt myself. The Lock bolt on the top is messed up, the wrench just keeps slipping, giving me no grip at all. The bolt seems to be too tight.

Any suggestions on how i can remove it?

Thank you.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try buying some stripped bolt extractors..they work quite well and should be able to help you take off that bolt

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pb blaster is your friend.

suntrana45

I have been using a mixture of charcoal lighter fluid and automatic transmission fluid, about a 50/50 mix. Seems to be far superior to any other commercial product and much cheaper. I use a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle so it will really "reach" out there. Obviously you want to keep the fluid away from flame or sparks, try to clean any visible threads and use high pressure air to clear away any debris or rust residue, spray the stuck part, wait, spray, wait and then gently try to move in both directions, a lot of the time a sharp rap or tap on top of a bolt will aid in removal. Good Luck.

stateofjustin

remove the bracket bolts instead, then the alternator mounting bolt/pivot bolt, take the alternator out of the car, grind, cut, break or however you like remove the rounded bolt, get a new one, install in reverse.