Questions about '00 Civic EX coupe automatic

DeviousJuney

So im new here as you can see. Im a young adult so im learning,

1. What tools will i need to do an automatic to manual conversion?

2. Are there manual conversion kits available?

3. What do you suggest to get when looking for parts for a manual swap ( like any racing clutch , etc etc I just want my car to have faster gear shifting with good pars from known company's with good feedback)

4.What kind of d series engine do i have? (Sorry just wondering if its an D16y8 I don't know :( )

5. Where can i get ESR like wheels that are 15" that would fit a 225/45/R15 tire?

Any help is much appreciated! :D by the way sorry about the title i forgot to edit it to 5 questions because other questions popped in my mind :hitlol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:welcome:

So im new here as you can see. Im a young adult so im learning,

1. What tools will i need to do an automatic to manual conversion?
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/auto-to-manual-conversion-complete-part-list.157624/

2. Are there manual conversion kits available?
Not that I'm aware of. You can try searching for it.

3. What do you suggest to get when looking for parts for a manual swap ( like any racing clutch , etc etc I just want my car to have faster gear shifting with good pars from known company's with good feedback)
Performance parts recommendations may vary depending on the transmission you select as each one will likely have different gear ratios and create a different end product when mated to your engine. Its best to ask that after you've decided on a tranny. I will warn you that opinions will vary on the subject so make the decision on if this will be a daily driver vehicle with occasional sporty use or you want a more regularly aggressive response. Some sportier add-ons are not exactly comfortable to deal with in regular driving.

4.What kind of d series engine do i have? (Sorry just wondering if its an D16y8 I don't know :( )

5. Where can i get ESR like wheels that are 15" that would fit a 225/45/R15 tire?
Search on Google Images for the types of wheels you want, get the model of them, then use the brand and model to search for them on Google for deals. I personally have no idea what wheels you're referring to so posting a picture of the style you like may help.

... sorry about the title i forgot to edit it to 5 questions because other questions popped in my mind :hitlol:
I took care of that for you. Now good luck with your new learning process. You're choosing a lot to tackle but fortunately you have a huge resource of easily available info. in this forum and online. Patience and research will be your best friends.

Last edited:

DeviousJuney

:welcome:

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/auto-to-manual-conversion-complete-part-list.157624/

Not that I'm aware of. You can try searching for it.

Performance parts recommendations have more to do with what engine you select, so start researching on engines and then make those choices from there.

Search on Google Images for the types of wheels you want, get the model of them, then use the brand and model to search for them on Google for deals. I personally have no idea what wheels you're referring to so posting a picture of the style you like may help.

I took care of that for you. Now good luck with your new learning process. You're choosing a lot to tackle but fortunately you have a huge resource of easily available info. in this forum and online. Patience and research will be your best friends.
For 5 speed pedal assembly do i need the brake with the clutch pedal or just the clutch? can i just keep my auto pedals and just add in the clutch pedal?

And is pulling the engine out going to help create more room to work on?

Also would a JDM Hydraulic 5 speed manual transmission work ok ? and how would i know if a tranny is cable or Hydraulic? (Just incase of scams)

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For 5 speed pedal assembly do i need the brake with the clutch pedal or just the clutch? can i just keep my auto pedals and just add in the clutch pedal?
The answer is on the aforementioned hyperlink and states "5 Spd Pedal Assembly - You'll need at very least a clutch pedal out of a 92-00 Civic (Ive heard you can use 94-01 Integra pedals as well, but I cant confirm it). You can trim/cut down your auto brake pedal, but I dont recommend it. Usually if your getting a clutch pedal, the brake pedal is included. I got mine from a junkyard, but online forums are a good place to get them too."

And is pulling the engine out going to help create more room to work on?
I would think so, but it seems like excess work that likely wont justify the added effort. I'm not an expert on this so I'm not a good source to answer this.

Also would a JDM Hydraulic 5 speed manual transmission work ok ? and how would i know if a tranny is cable or Hydraulic? (Just incase of scams)
Please don't take this sarcastically or rudely, but you shouldn't order any parts if you don't already know details like this for a fact. This is why research is important. When one gets into such a project, you will learn all these details in the process.

BTW, I edited my answer for your 3rd question as I misread it so my previous answer wasn't as helpful.

Last edited:

DeviousJuney

The answer is on the aforementioned hyperlink and states "5 Spd Pedal Assembly - You'll need at very least a clutch pedal out of a 92-00 Civic (Ive heard you can use 94-01 Integra pedals as well, but I cant confirm it). You can trim/cut down your auto brake pedal, but I dont recommend it. Usually if your getting a clutch pedal, the brake pedal is included. I got mine from a junkyard, but online forums are a good place to get them too."

I would think so, but it seems like excess work that likely wont justify the added effort. I'm not an expert on this so I'm not a good source to answer this.

Please don't take this sarcastically or rudely, but you shouldn't order any parts if you don't already know details like this for a fact. This is why research is important. When one gets into such a project, you will learn all these details in the process.

BTW, I edited my answer for your 3rd question as I misread it so my previous answer wasn't as helpful.
I might as well see if i can find a 5 speed tranny somewhere in a junkyard same year and model that can support a d series engine or order online. Thanks for the help ! =)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A manual D16Y8 tranny shouldn't be too difficult to find. Typically, people find them for around $300 at junkyards or through Craigslist, but this will vary by your location. Keep in mind it'll likely be cheaper to find all (or most) of your conversion parts through a junkyard than individually through multiple sources.

DeviousJuney

A manual D16Y8 tranny shouldn't be too difficult to find. Typically, people find them for around $300 at junkyards or through Craigslist, but this will vary by your location. Keep in mind it'll likely be cheaper to find all (or most) of your conversion parts through a junkyard than individually through multiple sources.
Yeah. youre right over here in new york theres this one area with like 15 or more junkyards in one spot. Guaranteed ill find a manual tranny for my kind of car same year and model if i go there at any time. but since i don't have any kind of tools I'll be patient and get the parts for a manual conversion bet by bit and tools. this is such a great forum! I have another question , its off topic but what drill is used by mechanics to be able to take off sockets and lug nuts (wheels)

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. youre right over here in new york theres this one area with like 15 or more junkyards in one spot. Guaranteed ill find a manual tranny for my kind of car same year and model if i go there at any time. but since i don't have any kind of tools I'll be patient and get the parts for a manual conversion bet by bit and tools. this is such a great forum!
These trannys are not single year specific. Any D16Y8 manual tranny from 1996 through 2000 will fit. Just keep in mind for reference that '99-'00 model Civics will differ in AC components & front end parts.

I have another question , its off topic but what drill is used by mechanics to be able to take off sockets and lug nuts (wheels)
Its called an impact wrench.

DeviousJuney

These trannys are not single year specific. Any D16Y8 manual tranny from 1996 through 2000 will fit. Just keep inmind for reference that '99-'00 model Civics will differ in AC components & front end parts.

Its called an impact wrench.
Thanks!