questions about d16y7

JDM_Luis

i want to know everything i should do to reach max HP gain.. but without the use of turbo kits.. just all motor on a d16y7 engine..

emerican

Registered VIP
To go all motor on a y7 is compltly pointless and a waste of money. Hell all motor on the y8 is a waste. How much power are you looking to make. Mini me swap it z6 head or y8 head and all the bolt ons and a tune if you wanted to take it that far, but it isnt going to net you very much horsepower. What is your goal, because saying the max isnt enough if you have to ask you probably dont have all the cash to make it to its technical max. a fully built boosted y8 can make over 400hp so thats not even its technical max.

MSHU37

5+ Year Member
To go all motor on a y7 is compltly pointless and a waste of money. Hell all motor on the y8 is a waste. How much power are you looking to make. Mini me swap it z6 head or y8 head and all the bolt ons and a tune if you wanted to take it that far, but it isnt going to net you very much horsepower. What is your goal, because saying the max isnt enough if you have to ask you probably dont have all the cash to make it to its technical max. a fully built boosted y8 can make over 400hp so thats not even its technical max.
i mean judging by your sig, looks like you tried to go all motor with a y8, your mods have netted you like? 5? hp....i dont mean to sound like a jerk but kind of hypocritical nah mean?

emerican

Registered VIP
No i havent tried to go all motor on a y8 i threw some bolt ons on my dd thats not going all out to me thats jsut tinkering and buying little stuff with extra cash. I would never call my car built and when anybdy asks whats in it i say slow ass y8 with i/h/e. he is askng about building an engine to its max all motor which would mean we are talking alot more than bolt ons with a full na build you have internal work head work etc etc. i have built a 5.0 and a boosted 4g63 the civic is my good gas dd that i throw parts on when i can just to have something to work on.

emerican

Registered VIP
The civic is a good dd and i go to college work full time and mechanic on the side. The money isnt to much the problem as the time if i wanted a fast civic id boost it or swap it. For now im perfectly okay to do the basic bolt ons throw a skunk2 intake mani i already have for it got it on trade for engine work. throw on b series or maxbore 60mm t-body on it and be done with the motor. Do a little work to the exterior lip kits and black housed headlights lower it and be done with it its my reliable tinker with car. Trust me when i want to drive something fast im not in the civic.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For what it would cost to build a fast, all-motor Y7 you could easily pay for a B-series swap. I would just do bolt-ons and call it a day, if you want serious power, swap motors. I had a Y7 with IHE and even did the VTEC head swap, it was a waste.

JDM_Luis

From what i've read, since i am new to all this engine builds or engine swaps... you guys think i should just buy a turbo kit for the d16y7 or buy a B.series engine?

emerican

Registered VIP
What horsepower goal are you trying to make? what is your budget? can you do a swap or turbo kit yourself or are you gonna pay a shop to do it? i need to know all this to really give you an aswer.

JDM_Luis

well i got 1 thousand to work with. i was hoping to get around the 250-300hp range. and i was thinking on taking it to a shop to get it installed.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$1,000 won't get you anywhere near that range. You'd be doing extremely well to get to 150hp with that kind of budget.

JDM_Luis

damn, i need more money then. roughly about how much u think i need to save up to buy everything needed and make over 200+ horses.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It all depends. If you're determined to stay all motor with the D16Y7 you could spend a ton and never hit that. I think you are severely underestimating the cost of reaching that goal. A good exhaust will cost you $400-500, a good header will cost $250-$400, an intake can be about $100, an intake manifold would be about $250, etc. Those are just a couple things and the prices are just rough estimates, you can go higher or lower depending on what you get, but all of that stuff would only add up to about 20+hp if you're lucky. The horsepower gains that you see listed when you're looking at parts are totally fake, an intake won't give you 10hp, exhaust 10hp, etc. To hit that 200hp mark you'd need a lot more.

Why focus on a number like that? Just concentrate on making improvements and making the car more enjoyable to drive. If you really needed to hit 200hp your best bet would be to do a GSR or LS-VTEC swap with bolt-ons and a few other things. But even going that route you're probably talking $4,000 range or easily more when it's all said and done. 200hp in a Civic would actually be very, very fast. Probably a lot faster than you actually think and actually need. My advice to you would be to do things slowly and one at a time and see how you like them before you dump a ton of money on a project with unrealistic expectations. There's nothing wrong with what you have and you can't learn all of this stuff in a couple of weeks.

If I were you and had $1000 to spend on what I'm guessing is a stock Civic I'd probably get an intake first, then maybe a cat-back exhaust. Get a decent brand because the mufflers go bad really fast in the cheapo ones and sound like s**t. After that maybe some lowering springs and whatever else you choose.

emerican

Registered VIP
At the least 3k to swap in a y8 and have a decent turbo on it to hit 200hp possibly 250 on a damn good tune and possibly more money.
I dont think you have really reasearched this and understand what your trying to get out of a 4banger. besides the fact that its already an underdog civic motor you have one of the unwanted motors of the d series. even a d16y8 1.6 vtec only comes with like 127hp at crank it takes a 2k or more turbo build to make that motor hit the 200's without blowing up and you want to do it for a grand on a non vtec y7 that starts out with like 100 horsepower no way never going to happen that motor aint making that all motor or even with a relaible turbo kit that can be daily driven for anything close to a grand. the money spent to make that motor make anything close to 170 i could buy a b series throw it in my ex and have plenty left over to mod it. Also you have to remember we all do our own work you also have to add in shop fees so you really only have 500 to thorw at it if you have to pay a shop to install things.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i got 1 thousand to work with. i was hoping to get around the 250-300hp range. and i was thinking on taking it to a shop to get it installed.
HA. WOW. with just 1k and expecting 200+ hp. You sir need to be more realistic. With just a good engine management alone would net you close to 600 bucks.

If you insist on trying to go all motor with a Dseries. Look into stroking that D16 with D17 rods and pistons but going that route is no place for a newb to start with and even then you'll barely reach 130whp. But if you can do it. Bravo. but for those that are serious about all motor D. 150whp is the mark to be at and i'll tell you. Its one hell of a ride ;)

But from the looks of where your mind is set for power. Boost that D =D and since your budget is only 1k. Look into a home made style turbo kit.

Had a friend make 180whp from his Y7 with his HF manifold with a 16G turbo set up and it all cost him about 1300 for everything ;) Just got to have the patience to research about it.

emerican

Registered VIP
Damn pretty good deal 1300 for the whole set up i bet that took alot of research and slowly piecing it together.