Questions about making my civic turbo

jh1344

Hey, guys, I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX, and I plan on going to a U Pull It and pulling the engine from an EX so I can replace the internals and turbo the EX engine while I can still drive my car until I'm ready to swap the engines. The thing is, I'm not quite sure what internals I need to change/upgrade before turbo. Any insight along with particular brands and prices would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buy a B series

jh1344

Don't have the money for a B series motor, though I wish I did or knew where to find one. If there's one at a U Pull It, it'll be the first thing I get instead of a y8.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's a pretty hefty question. You're going to want to tell a little bit more about your plans. Most importantly, how high are you looking to boost? If you're just looking for a little pep, under 8 psi, you can usually get away with leaving the internals stock. It's not ideal, but I've seen many many cars boost at low psi with stock internals.

I'm going to move this thread to the forced induction section. This section is more for member introductions. Welcome to ClubCivic, btw.

jh1344

Thanks, man, and I plan on getting a turbo with about 25lbs of boost, but I hears that with stock internals with 8lbs of boost, if you run it hard like I plan on, you'll blow the internals. I want something that'll withstand some being ran hard but will also last me and not have me searching for a new car in a few months.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol good luck...

The money u could spend on a good B swap and turbo would be less than "building" a D series

Last edited by a moderator:

jh1344

If you know anywhere I could find a B series motor, any and all help would be greatly appreciated, bro.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
H motors. Google it. Theyre all over the place. Ebay. s**t i bet theres 20 in your town.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cheapest B series motor I can find is $2000.
Going to cost you more than that to "build" a little d-series to handle your 25lbs of boost daily.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What amount of boost would you recommend? I just want more than 8lbs of boost.
If u can tell me y u want more than 8 lbs of boost and it makes sense then I'll help u...

jh1344

I've heard that 8lbs of boost is weak and close to stock. It's just what I've been told, so I've been under the impression that I need more than 8lbs. If that's not the case, then I'll take any help I can get. I jist wanna push more than 200 hp withput blowing my engine.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Building internals isn't cheap. From your previous posts, I'm assuming you don't have any mechanic experience and there's a good chance you'll be paying somebody to do at least some of the work, right? If so, there's a very good chance you'll break $2000 with the cost of the premade turbo kit and the mechanics labor.

As far as 8 psi not being much - A VERY general ballpark figure (there are many specifics that impact this) is that you'll end up with about 10 horsepower at the crank for each PSI of boost, or 80hp at the crank for 8 psi. You'll probably end up with somewhere around an additional 50whp. An EX has 127 at the crank, stock. You're looking at about a 63% increase in horsepower. While 8psi doesn't sound like a big number, a 63% increase is substantial. Will your car be super fast and ready to eat corvettes? No. Absolutely not. Will you notice a nice gain in power? Yes.

Why do you need more than that? Are you trying to race competitively? Do you want to be the fastest car on the street? What are your goals?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's a massive amount of stuff to cover in this post. Check the Forced Induction section and read on about boosting a car. There's a lot of threads in there to help.
As mentioned before, your mechanical prowess is going to play a huge role in this. If you're a seasoned mechanic, about 60% of what you need can be done in your garage, given the time and tools. The rest will require a machine shop/tuner. As Mymemmory said, I would honestly nab a B series before I'd go turbo D, because it's not worth the hassle. You will spend more in the end on the D than the B (lol).

jh1344

I have mechanical experience. I'm ASE certified, so I know what I'm doing, I just need to know what I need to do to get to my goal, which is a civic that's race worthy.