Questions: Wastegate ports and name this part

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
k i have 2 questions ...

the external wastegate i bought has 2 ports.... which one goes to a vacuum / boost source ?? what does the other one go to ??

i heard the bottom one goes to the boost source and the top one vents ... this true ??

Also....

what is this piece ??

where does it go ??

it looks like it goes here on the bottom ...

without piece:

1993DX

This is all assuming this is a "typical" wastegate design:

The lower port is for the air supply (intake pressure inlet port).

The upper port is a vent or connection for a boost controller.

If you run with the lower port connected to the air supply and the upper venting, the wastegate will actuate via the internal spring pressure (spring determines boost).

If you run with the lower port connected to the air supply and the upper connected to a boost controller, the boost controller (appropriately named) controls the boost by "overriding" the spring pressure.

The little ring guy you got there is a floating valve seat.

Either way check the manufacturers website for some install specs and/or a 1-800 number.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think you have that ring upside down.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
@1993DX: Is there different ways to connect it??

I have my connected like so.

WASTEGATE
Top port --> Covered with a bolt
Bottom port--> Hosing --> Boost controller --> Turbo outlet piece

1993DX

@1993DX: Is there different ways to connect it??

I have my connected like so.

WASTEGATE
Top port --> Covered with a bolt
Bottom port--> Hosing --> Boost controller --> Turbo outlet piece
Could you post a pic of that? I'm kinda having a hard time following..

I suppose hooking it up other ways would be fine if it still allows the wastegate to operate properly.
The only potential flaw I see with those connections is having the upper port plugged/capped as this wouldn't allow the air on the spring side of the diaphragm to vent.. It would compress the air therefore acting kind of like another boost controller.. Basically in my mind I would see that as the equivalent of increasing the spring strength. That alone would increase boost levels (with or without a separate boost controller), regardless of what psi your boost controller is set at since the pressure of the spring still needs to be overcome for the exhaust to bypass. Grant it whatever your boost controller is set at and whatever your boost gauge says you're making is all that really matters, but this set up could possibly just mean that some part of the system is working a little harder than it really needs to. Nothing too devastating though.

But it's kinda hard to say without actually seeing how you have it set up.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well there y'all go. Should anyone have a similar question in the future, the instructions for the hook ups given in that PDF should be very similar to other wastegates too. Most wastegates operate under the same principles.

Of course we should follow each manufacturer's specific instructions though.. But who needs to read the instructions right? ;) lol
yep im good at finding things on the net lol :lol::cool: