Quick cylinder head compatibility question...

1993DX

I have a D15B7 block and I am looking to put a D16Y7 cylinder head on it.

So my question is: What is required to bolt a D16Y7 cylinder head to a D15B7 block?

I know, use the search bar. I have and the results have been mixed and aren't exactly what I'm looking for, and a lot of the answers I found were falling under assumptions.. Not really something I want to be doing.

So far I've been able to determine that both the B7 and Y7 heads are 16v, neither are vtec, and the Y7 will bolt up to a D15B7 block.. But I can't tell if I'd only need a new valve cover or if I'll need anything else.

To expand on the question:

Will the B7 dizzy, plugs, and plug wires work?

Will a B7 head gasket and timing belt work as well?

Will the B7 intake and exhaust manifolds / corresponding gaskets work?

Or will I need Y7 parts for all of the above?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!!!

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look up mini me swap

1993DX

look up mini me swap
I have destroyed the search function on this forum and I am well aware of the mini me swap.

As I said, none of the answers I found were specific to my application and therefore left me thinking "Yeah, it should probably work with these parts.." But that's not the type of answer I'm looking for.

Every mini me post is dealing with removing a non vtec head and replacing it with a vtec equipped head. I am removing a non vtec head (D15B7) and replacing it with another non vtec head (D16Y7). Really (as far as I can tell) the only difference is the valve cover and the fact that it's from a 1.6L engine whereas mine is a 1.5L.

A lot of the information is VERY close to what I'm looking for, however does not compare B7 and Y7 heads. I know every freaking D series head, block, manifolds, and everything else are damn near identical, but if I do have to buy a boat load of other parts, I want to know up front. I don't really want to make 18 trips to the parts store in the midst of doing what is essentially a simple hg change.

For example from some of the mini me posts: The ECU change. Is this solely due to the fact that vtec is being added? If so, wouldn't that make swapping the ECU unnecessary for someone who isn't adding vtec? Also, some write ups say change the dizzy while some don't.. Both for the same non vtec to vtec swap combos!! So that is confusing in and of itself. The same with the timing belt.

I am not looking to do a mini me swap. The mini me swap threads have a lot of information, however it is all pertaining to, and based around the addition of vtec. This does not apply to me. There is a ton of info about swapping this non vtec head with that vtec head, but nothing specifically about the interchangeability of non vtec heads. I could deduct my own answers from the info I have found, but as I also said, assuming isn't something I really want to do.

So to reiterate: I want to swap a B7 cylinder head with a Y7 cylinder head. I want to keep the B7 intake manifold, exhaust manifold, timing belt, distributor, upper timing belt cover, upper water outlet, ECU, and all the B7 sensors, connectors, and so on.

Can this be done?

If not, what needs to be changed? I know I will need a valve cover and plug wires.

I'm just trying to eliminate any guessing...

1993DX

Ok, update.

Aside from learning that smashing my face on my desk from finding millions of pages of incomplete info doesn't help anything, I did learn the following:

-The intake and exhaust manifolds will bolt up fine using B7 gaskets.
-The head gasket of choice appears to be a 96-00 Y7, although a B7 will work (Y7 hg increases compression a bit while B7 stays close to factory).
-B7 or Y7 head bolts will work.
-The B7 distributor will work on the Y7 head.
-The upper water outlets are identical.
-The power steering bracket bolt hole locations are identical.
-The B7 sensors (ECT and what not) will need to be swapped to the Y7 head to avoid having to do some wiring. (still not 100% sure on this since some say the connectors are the same, some say they're different)
-A 1.6L valve cover will be needed.
-The Y7 upper timing belt cover will be needed since the valve cover is different.
-96-00 plug wires will be needed, current plugs should be ok.

The only real hairy areas remaining involve the timing belt and cam gear:

Some say to use a Y7 belt and B7 gear (getting a new belt and swapping the gear will be needed).
Some say to use a Y7 belt and Y7 cam gear (only a new belt is needed).
Some say to use a B7 belt and B7 cam gear (swapping the gear but re-using the belt).
Some say to use a Y7 belt and an aftermarket adjustable cam gear.
Some say use whatever you want, just make sure you have a 104 tooth belt.

...WTF?

I know the cam is indexed slightly different from the B7 to the Y7, but I HATE dealing with mechanical timing and I don't want to play some guessing game.. There doesn't seem to be a straight answer anywhere! rar

Any input anyone? And if anything above is incorrect please let me know!!!!

I could actually REALLY use some help here PLEEEEASSSSSSSSSE.