rack and pinion removal help

Coryb0i

I have a 98 honda civic' i unbolted everything except the the h frame (subframe) that the rack is mounted to. The rack is loose i jjst cant get it out. If i can just lcan just clear 2 more inches i can get it out. Any help in how to turn or sumin

Coryb0i

this is how close i got it
can some one pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I triedddddddddddddddddddddd moving and manever it everywhere....it wont come out

RonJ

Banned
Did you slide the rack all the way to the right? Take a moment and carefully read the diagram I posted!!!!!

Coryb0i

Did you slide the rack all the way to the right? Take a moment and carefully read the diagram I posted!!!!!
YES evry thing is lose the rack is layin in and on the subframe.. i tried shaking it and everything, when i slid it to the right the gear that go in the steering column is almost out but wont come all the way out

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It was a feat I didn't wanna do on my hatch. I had my friend do it for me, he is a cert honda mech. He said it was a b!tch. He said he ended up taking the subframe out and had to dismantle the rack just a bit to get it in.

Coryb0i

It was a feat I didn't wanna do on my hatch. I had my friend do it for me, he is a cert honda mech. He said it was a b!tch. He said he ended up taking the subframe out and had to dismantle the rack just a bit to get it in.
how many bolts to take off of the subframe and how did he dismantle it?

RonJ

Banned
You don't have to remove the subframe to get the rack out. Did you follow the service manual instructions step by step? You almost surely missed one of the steps if you are having problems. I have replaced the rack on several Civics.

Coryb0i

You don't have to remove the subframe to get the rack out. Did you follow the service manual instructions step by step? You almost surely missed one of the steps if you are having problems. I have replaced the rack on several Civics.
i whole rack is loose, trust me

Coryb0i

As you cannot remove the rack, it's most wise not to trust you. And you didn't answer any of my questions, so I'll assume you are unreceptive to being helped.
Yea i did follow the service manual till the end.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As you cannot remove the rack, it's most wise not to trust you. And you didn't answer any of my questions, so I'll assume you are unreceptive to being helped.
Dude you are about to piss off Ron, that is a deadly mistake.

RonJ

Banned
Do you have the two service manual pages that describe removal? I already posted the second page.

Review the procedure step by step to see whether you missed removing and doing something.

Coryb0i

Do you have the two service manual pages that describe removal? I already posted the second page.

Review the procedure step by step to see whether you missed removing and doing something.
Yea im looking at it right now. I didnt remove the steering wheel though....thats the only thing

RonJ

Banned
Your style prevents you from getting any help. You don't answer any questions, yet you want answers. Good luck dude.