radiator dry- reservoir tank over max mark civic98

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Isnt it that the radiator should siphon back the coolant from the reservoir tank when the engine cools down?
I'm asking because 2 days ago I topped up my radiator to the base of the filler neck and reservoir tank up to the max mark but when I checked the coolant level this morning with the engine cold the radiator is almost dry(radiator fins visible from the filler neck) while the reservoir tank has coolant way above the max mark.
Is it my radiator cap?thermostat? There is no visible coolant leak from the system.

RonJ

Banned
Try bleeding the system:

This procedure may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Bled the system this morning.It took so long before the fan came on that I thought the fan is not working. Anyway after waiting for like ages, the fan finally ran. I removed the radiator cap and saw the coolant circulating in the radiator. Is it possible my thermostat is opening at a higher temp than its set temp? (180F). Is this an immediate concern even if the car is not overheating?Stopped the engine and refilled the coolant at the radiator. Will check the coolant level again after several days of driving.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fill the tank back up, and take apart your tacs, and reset them. they might have just gotten stuck or stopped working

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
ok thanks, will wait several days and if bleeding doesn't solve the problem i'll check my thermostat,radiator cap and the fan switch.