radiator support writeup

towncarblue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 1999 civic ex 2-door with a minor hit in the front. i would like to remove the radiator support( its bent a bit) and replace it but i dont have a helms manual. is there a link to a good writeup. post reply's :roll:

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
2. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels. Raise the front of the vehicle and support i securely on jackstands. Remove the splash pan beneath the radiator.
3. Drain the cooling system. If the coolant is relatively new or in good condition, save it and reuse it.
4. If the vehicel is equipped with an automatic transaxle, disconnetct the cooler lines from the radiator. Use a drip pan to catch spilled fluid and plug the lines and fittings.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector for the cooling fan motor.
6. Loosen the hose clamps, then detach the radiator hoses from the fittings. If they're stuck, grasp each hose near the end with a pair of slip joint pliers and twist it to break the seal, then pull it off - be careful not to damage the radiator fittings. If the hoses are old or deteriorated, cut them off and install new ones.
7. Remove the engine cooling fan.
8. Unbolt and remove the small brackets that attach the upper end of the radiator to the radiator support.
9. Carefully lift out the radiator. Don't spill coolant on the vehicle or scratch the paint.
10. Inspect the radiator for leaks and damage. If it needs repair, have a radiator shop or dealer service department perform the work as special techniques are required.
11. Bugs and dirt can be removed from the radiator by spraying with a garden hose from the backside.
12. Check the radiator mounts for deterioration and replace if necessary.

*Source-Haynes manual.