radiator w/ turbo size questions

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just recently bought a turbo kit for my 4th gen civic hatch dx, and i need to buy a smaller radiator. i have done alot of looking, and so far i have only found radiators that will fit a 5th gen. does it matter if i buy a 5th gen compact radiator and slap it in my 91?

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you could but you would have to make a bracket to really secure it. or it would be flopping in your engine bay and that is bad.

AGStylez

Custom Beats JDM
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u'd have to get a new lower front cross member. w/o it, the half rad from a 5th gen will sit tilted with the top side of it loose due to the rad being taller than the 4th gen.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know a few people using the half size civic rad without any lower crossmember mods and they're fine, the upper hose holds in in place pretty well, but the hood is kinda tough to shut sometimes. there are a few companies that make lower crossmembers that hold the half size rad like it was oem. Innovative is one.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i kno of a couple of half size rads that come with a bracket on the top that just bolts in, but i think i will deff have to get a cross member to secure it properly, and btw do you know of any problems that could come along with having a half size rad?

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friend put a fifth gen oem half size into his, nothin bad happend but it did make the car run cooler for a lot longer

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i had to cut my lower crossmember to make mine fit.....and i had to make some brackets to hold it to the frame

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont think im going to go as far as welding, becuase i found a egay one with brackets attached to the top of the rad, and once you get that turbo in then you'll be in business

Qwkd16

5+ Year Member
I used a radiator from a dodge neon with my turbo setup. You can get an inline filler neck from moroso because the rad doesnt have one....but it fits perfect, you have to drill one hole for the lower mount in the middle of the croosmember. but the rad clears the hood and fits with any turbo that i know of.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a half rad in my hatch

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so, thats a D series engine in my hatch aslo. dosent matter what engine you have