Radio not working :/

maldonado92

so i just installed a new radio into my 1991 honda civic, but something is not working right, i plug it in after all the wiring and everything, and i know i have the wires right, i did research before installing it to be sure, but then when i plug it in, and turn the car on and everything, it lights up fine, and the radio works, but problem is, i cant get it to turn on to the actuall radio tuning itselfs, and it wont take any cds, just spits them backout. i was thinking i have the constant power wire fine, which is why it lights up and everything, but i have either the ground or switch power wire messed up, which is why the radio/cd part isnt working, any ideas?

xWIREMANx

Old radio or new radio? Sounds like it's a bad radio to me. If it powers up and it spits the cd back out after you try and put it then it is having some sort of error while trying to load or read it. Do you get sound while playing fm or am stations? If you have 12v + on the red and yellow wires and you have a good ground then bad radio would be the only thing I can think of.

maldonado92

well i cant even access the am or fm stations, the only screen it goes to is the idle clock, i cant even turn it on to radio stations, i can only change the time. thats why i was thinking maybe it was one of the wires? and its a new radio, audiobank, i just got it saturday

xWIREMANx

Then you don't have power on the red acc wire. Clock can be illuminated while red does not have power. The radio may also load and eject cd's without power on that wire. If you have a meter then check for power where it needs to be. Try connecting the red wire where you have the yellow at along with the yellow (Just for testing) and see if you can turn it on. Sounds like you have a blown fuse somewhere.

maldonado92

if its a blown fuse, how would i go about fixing that? ill try switching the cables you told me to to see if that does anything
also, how much is a meter and where could i get one to check the power

xWIREMANx

Don't switch them, combine them. You obviously have power on one of the wires and by what you said it sounds like you have power on the yellow side. As for the fuse, all you have to do is replace it with another of the same rating. There are fuses inside the car and under the hood.

xWIREMANx

Glad I could help. Remember what I said as far as using that just for testing. In the end you want yellow hooked up to 12v constant power and red hooked up to 12v accessory power. Yellow is what holds memory on the radio and red is switched power and is what turns the radio on and off with the cars ignition switch. This is so you don't have to manually shut the radio off so it does not drain your battery. Good luck to you. ;)