1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

radio turns on but no sound comes out? WTF!

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics' started by westendhooligan, Mar 25, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. westendhooligan

westendhooligan New Member 5+ Year Member

today i was driving and the sound went out! the radio turns on but i get no sound? i connected my stock radio to see whats up and the same s**t, it turns on but i get no sound? i connected my current radio back in and i got sound. but then it went out again! it plays cds and gets radio stations for shure because the face of my car radio has digital effects. it shows bars that move up and down to the beat of what ever is playing. my speakers work because i could hear them go on when i turn the radio on. so what can it be? any suggestions?

2. Wax Hands

Wax Hands Smell my finger Registered VIP

Grounded wires somewhere?

3. WalkingComplex

WalkingComplex Stock As All Hell Registered VIP

check the wiring, speakers, and speaker terminals. might just be a loose connection somewhere.

4. vjf915

vjf915 New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

All four speakers wouldnt go out like that at the same time if it was the speaker terminal. Its either the connection on the back of the stereo, or your fuse. Some cars, the actual stereo uses a different fuse than the speakers.

5. WalkingComplex

thats what i meant, the speaker terminal on the back of the stereo. but the fuse would only blow, not blow then work then blow agin.

6. westendhooligan

westendhooligan New Member 5+ Year Member

i changed the (accessory, radio) fuse under my steering wheel and that didnt work! it cant be the radios fuse because it did the same s**t when i connected my stock radio. i checked out all the wires and the speaker harness they all look good to me. what i cant figure out is that all four speakers dont work? even when i switch the balance from (right.rear to right.front and from left.rear to left.front) on the radios control panel none of speakers give out sound.

7. WalkingComplex

ah, well im stumped. anyone got a solution 2 help him out?

8. vjf915

vjf915 New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Brain fart, I forgot that his speakers started working again.

[​IMG]

9. WalkingComplex

^^lol, touche

10. exceptional

exceptional New Member

have we found a solution? i experienced a similar problem today..the radio turns on, the cd player turns on, but absolutely no sound from the speaker. yesterday i installed an ipod/mp3 kit to my brothers 2005 honda civic. the kit is really just a cable/adapter plugged onto the back of the radio. it worked fine yesterday..butt today no more sound from the speaker :( any help would be appreciated.

11. cleanlycheese

cleanlycheese New Member

I'm having the same problem in my 95 ex. But I think it has to do with a blue wire that came unplugged when I took my head unit out. I don't know where it goes to but it runs under the carpet towards the back. Does anybody have an idea of what this could be? Any help would be much appreciated!

12. lovevii

lovevii New Member

I hate to necro this... (Actually I don't care :P)
    But I'm having this problem and it looks like no one found a solution?

13. lethal6

lethal6 Das Auto! Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

That would be a remote turn on wire. It turns on an amp or other acc when the head unit turns on. Unless you have an amp that is powering those speakers, the blue wire isn't your problem.

14. WalkingComplex

exactly.

15. Scott Gardner

Scott Gardner New Member

you have a grounded speaker wire. if you have aftermarket speakers I would check there 1st. If one of the speaker wires touches the chassis of the vehicle it will cause all 4 speakers to mute simultaneously.

16. JDMRacer24

JDMRacer24 New Member 5+ Year Member

i would recheck the wiring to the speakers if you dont want to do all that tracing here is an easier way to do take a speaker out and take the radio out but dont unplug hook up the speaker wire purple and purple/black which ever ones you choose lol and connect them to the speaker if no sound then radio is just shot. try the speaker on every out put of the radio to check and then take that speaker and hood it up to a house stereo and see if it works hope this helps

MECP Certified Installer

17. Mysteryemotionz

Mysteryemotionz New Member Registered VIP

for a mecp certified installer your pretty fucking stupid.

18. cobb2819

cobb2819 New Member

i agree with scott. what i normally do is remove the radio and unplug, then with a DMM check continuity to ground on all 8 speaker wires (all 4 pairs). if one is grounding, you just found your problem.

19. -93CivicSi-

-93CivicSi- New Member

Exactly, check for exposed wiring, if and when you find it, tape it up. If thats not the case, I would say you have 1 or more loose wires connecting to the back of the radio, sometimes 1 or 2 wires that are in a plug get loose or a bad connection and can mess the whole thing up like that.

Have a look at all your wiring.