radio turns to static when defroster is turned on

v7guy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got an 04 civic last week. I turned on the defroster and the radio instantly goes to static. When the defroster is turned off the radio goes back to normal. Everything is stock in the car.

Anyone know what is going on. A google search turned up a few suggestions and a mention of a TSB, but nothing specific.

Does anyone know what is going on?

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump cuz i been having the same problem for about a year..

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
more than likely your looking at a grounding problem between the defroster and the radio, best suggestion would be to get a wiriing diagram and find your radio ground wire, source it to your battery ( just use some extra 12 gauge lying around, but dontcut the harness, you should use wiretaps [autozone$3.59]and cut the defrost and radio both on and see if you have the same problem. if youve ever heard of engine noise in an aftermarket radio then this is the same occurence. the problem is more so in the defroster not the radio harness, but rewiring the defroster may not be what you really want to do.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dude above me has a good suggestion. First thing that came to my mind was possibly a bum alternator. But I would hope that it wouldnt go back that quickly.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I always assumed this was common among all 7th gens... lol. I've had this problem since I got the car. I live in FL and frost isn't usually a problem so I never really bothered to get it checked out...

Interesting.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is your rear window tinted? If so is it a metallic based tint? I used a ceramic tint for this very reason. But the antenna in this car sucks.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ahh... now that you mention it, my rear window is tinted. I couldn't tell you if it was metallic or ceramic but that is a definite possibility.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hmmmmmmmmmm my window isnt tinted and I dont have this problem.

v7guy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't believe it has aftermarket tint, but i could be wrong. If it does it's VERY light tint.

I did briefly consider that I could just reground it but I'd like to do it the right way and find the cause of the problem. I've read a lot of comments about this happening, just no solution.

No one has ran across a fix for this, or a verification of what the problem is?

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is the car still under warr? it sounded like you just bought it.

try turning the radio on with the car off with the defrost on-does it still get static?

wondering if you have a bad engine/trans ground. it couldnt hurt to do the big 3 reground.

pyropunker25

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
same problem...my windows are tinted too, thought it happened to everyone? but mine looks like facotry tint? no way i could find out being 2nd owner bought it 2 years ago?

01vic

5+ Year Member
its def the tint cause mine does the same thing and i only started to notice it after i had my windows done... but i live in cali so its no big deal to me

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
were you talking about the front or rear defroster? Your antennna is built into the rear winshield is what i've always heard so that could be it if it's a rear defroster problem

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
See to me, that would tell me that his alternator isnt putting out enough power.
alot of cars are poorly grounded at the transmission and the radio starts to pick up frequencies from it causing static. in some cars its bad enough were you can have the stereo off and the speakers will still make noise.