Random overheating

KS91Z28

5+ Year Member
Here's the story. I bought this car about 7 months ago. It had just had a brand new radiator put in it.

Fast forward to a month and a half ago, I noticed the temperature rising so I jumped out and checked the fans and 1 of them wasn't running while I had the A/C turned on. I replaced the fan switch and it seemed to solve the issue for 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks of it cooling just fine, it gets hot again while parked. I jumped out and checked the fans again and they're both on. I chalked it up to sticky thermostat and put a new one in. It did fine for the next week and a half. I even sat in the parking lot at work yesterday with the A/C on for 30 minutes and the gauge never moved past the half mark.

Then, last night, after driving for 1.5 hours, I stopped to drop my kids off, but left the car idling and the temperature shot up again. Again, I checked the fans and they're both running.

This morning, I drove the car to work, (some highway, some city), and the car never got past the half mark.

Any ideas why the car is randomly getting hot?

helofast

5+ Year Member
maybe your thermostat is not functioning right, sounds like your fans maybe turn on late

KS91Z28

5+ Year Member
2 bad thermostats in a row? I agree it's possible, but highly unlikely.

Short of re-programming the computer, what would make the fans come on later than they're supposed to?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Can you give some details on the car? Do you have any mods done to it?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take it to autozone and they can test if thr head gasket is bad.