Rather Desperately In Need of Brake Advice

Ice Cream Kid

Right everybody, I could really use some help here. I lost brake responsiveness Thursday night, had to use the handbrake to stop all the way home going 30 mph

Friday morning I tried dumping some more dot 3 brake fluid in to see if there was a leak....there definitely was. The steel brake line is split right in the middle of the car. Now the problem here is thatI get paid this Thursday, and well....today is Sunday. Until Thursday I've got about $10. My dad wants me to just pull the rear brake lines from the brake divider thingie and just plug it with a M10-1.00 bolt, but that sounds kinda sketchy. To be fair his other idea was to stick a bit of rubber hose in the middle with a hose clamp on either end :/

I really can't not have my car moving and stopping by tomorrow because i have to get myself 10 miles either way to school and 12 miles either way to work every day this week ;-;

Help?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You really want to ghetto rig something as important as brakes? Something that can and will endager your life as well as others around you when the fail completely?

Fix it right. Your dad won't lend you the money? Looks like he is giving you a rid this week or you are riding the bus. 10 miles? Ride a bike...

I wouldn't drive it with it like that. Brakes aren't something to mess around with.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ he has a point. Just hitch a ride, ride a bike, bus until you get the money. You definitely don't want to macguyver something like that. Do it right the first time. You'll be happier in the end.

And yeah, why won't your dad lend you money?

hgocasca

Omg. Dude, do not drive that car. That is just asking to die. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ What they said.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Park it till you get the funds to replace the brake lines with either your own custom made lines with 3/16" brake line and a double flaring tool (both can be purchased through advance auto parts) or a new oem line ( through hondaautomotiveparts.com or an online honda genuine parts warehouse.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
for 10 bucks you can buy two black compression fittings and 1 foot of brakeline and voila, repaired.

RonJ

Banned
This is not even close to being a tech thread without pictures of the cracked line. No pictures? --> To Off Topic with you.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really can't not have my car moving and stopping by tomorrow because i have to get myself 10 miles either way to school and 12 miles either way to work every day this week ;-;

Help?
Can't not = can (double negatives cancel out)

Being that its already Tuesday, I assume you already found transportation for the meanwhile. If funds are usually tight for you, I'd suggest having a close friend or family order a stainless steal brake lines set online immediately so it arrives sooner. Pay them back on payday. If one line blew like that then the others are probably not in good shape either. Dont risk another similar or worse situation. A set of Goodridge lines will cost just a little more than one single OEM line.

motakitty

Can't not = can (double negatives cancel out)

This is a forum not a college class. I think we all knew what he ment. I see allot of replies about grammar, i know it's important but give some people a break.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

Ice Cream Kid

Right guys, I get paid tomorrow so I'm gonna be picking up some generic brake line at AutoZone :P I've talked to the guys there and explained the situation and they can get me what I need, just not bent to shape and I guess it's fairly easy to bend. My civic is at my high school auto class. So far I've gotten that little plastic cover off, but there are four smallish lines and one pretty big one. Does anyone have any clue which is which? I've tried tracing them but they all sorta disappear upwards :/ help appreciated :D (and I know, my grammar takes a hit when I'm panicking and/or stressed)