Re: Color Of Radiator Fluid

Civics Rule

5+ Year Member
Hello.....
The radiator fluid in my 2001 Civic Lx appears to be a dark green color. I bought some Honda brand radiator fluid at a Honda dealer and it looks like it is blue colored. I was going to add a little to the expansion tank as it is right on the bottom mark when the engine is cold. I don't know if I should add the blue colored Honda fluid to what is in the expansion tank due to the different colors. I had the timing belt and water pump changed at a Honda dealership last year and a radiator fluid change was part of the job. What I can't understand is why they would use a different color fluid than the Honda brand.
Do you think it would be O.K. to add the blue Honda 50/50 mix to the fluid that is in the expansion tank, which is a dark green??
Thanks......

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
post a picture of the bottle.

antifreeze that i have ever seen is either red... or green... blue should be washer fluid across the board.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honda genuine Coolant is blue. Threw me off the first time I saw it.

OP, I would assume you should be fine mixing them, but you could always buy another gallon of coolant from honda, flush everything out, and refill the rad/coolant system with the Honda blue stuff. It's rated for 65,000 miles (I think that's what it says on the back).

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
why dont you put some of the orange coolant to the radiador that way you have RAINBOW coolant in your ride!! just make shure its 50/50 coolant you are using, and you wont have any problems! it doesnt matter what color its is

RonJ

Banned
I would assume that if you want the full benefits of the blue Honda coolant, then you should drain and refill with blue Honda coolant. If you only want to top off the reservoir, just use regular less expensive 50:50 coolant.