Really Basic Belt Question

GirlandherCivic

Hi guys... first of all, I know almost nothing about cars, but I'm learning as I go. I have a '98 Civic hatchback. Great little car! When I got my oil changed Tuesday, the mechanic said all three of my belts were cracked and needed to be replaced but it wasn't an emergency. He'd charge 150 bucks. I don't have much money, so I try to save it by getting parts online (I usually use autoparts123, they okay?) and having a guy I know put them on for me. Here's the question... the 3 belts he's talking about must be the A/C, the steering and the alternator belts, right? When I went to buy them online, I only see serpentine and timing belts. I know I don't need a timing belt. So what should I get and how many? I don't want my guy friend to laugh at me if i show up with the wrong belts! Also, is there a brand that's better or worse?
Thanks so much! :D

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's the question... the 3 belts he's talking about must be the A/C, the steering and the alternator belts, right? When I went to buy them online, I only see serpentine and timing belts. I know I don't need a timing belt. So what should I get and how many? I don't want my guy friend to laugh at me if i show up with the wrong belts! Also, is there a brand that's better or worse?
Thanks so much!
Hello,

Nice car, i've got the same :D

Belts, serpentine is what you're looking for.

A serpentine belt (also known as a multi-vee or multi-rib belt) is a single, continuous belt used to drive multiple peripheral devices in an automotive engine, such as an alternator, power steering pump, water pump, A/C compressor, air pump, etc.
1. accesory belts
  • Althernator belt
  • Air Conditioning belt
  • Power steering belt
2. where to buy?
  • Honda dealer +
  • Nappa autoparts, Autozone, Advance autoparts, O'Rillies, *
  • Online, www.autopartswarehouse.com*, i have personally ordered oem preplacement parts from this place and didn't have any problems.
+oem
* oem replacement

Look at the guaranty and warranty each retailer offers with thier parts.

A part from a Honda dealer could cost 120.00 with 1 year warranty, while the same part but sold through a second party retail could cost 60.00 with also a 1 year waranty.