rear disc break conversion

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my car has rear drums.. which i think is lame.. im for sure gona try to do a discbreak conversion. does anyone know what exactly i would need, and how much would it cost me?

can i just us the set up from the EK coupe Si's?

:?:

thanks

doug piston

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Installing a Rear Disc Brake Conversion on a 96-up Civic

Remove rear tires, place rear of vehicle on jack stands, (be sure to chock front tires)
Remove center console
Detach parking brake cables from e brake assembly
Remove rubber grommets where e brake routes through the floor
Remove exhaust heat shield, and rear exhaust hangers, for better access
Remove (2) parking brake cable brackets from underside of car
Remove parking brake cables from car
Remove Lower Control Arm to Trailing arm bolt (14mm)
Unbolt brake line, remove clip, plug brake line, or wrap w/ shop towel
Unbolt Trailing Arm bushing bracket (2-17mm)
Unbolt Trailing Arm from Upper Control Arm (14mm)
Unbolt Compensatory Arm from rear sub frame (14mm)
Remove assembly from car
Remove Compensatory Arm from old assembly (14mm) and attach to new assembly

Installing new Assembly

Bolt in UCA to Trailing Arm (14mm)
Bolt Trailing Arm bushing bracket to frame (2-17mm)
Bolt rear Compensatory arm to rear sub frame (14mm)
Bolt LCA to Trailing Arm (14mm)

Note: Integra parking brake cables are a couple inches shorter?they can be retained by re-routing them, however for a stock Civic SI cables should be used. Use your own discretion.Route parking brake cables (if using civic si cables be sure to reattach brackets)
Reinstall grommets and attach parking brake cables to e-brake assembly
Bolt in brake line, attach clip
Adjust parking brake
Reinstall Center Console
Bleed all four brakes

Note: this should only be used as a Overview, and performed at your own risk All installations should be performed by a professional.

Last edited:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow! Someone who hasn't gotten tired of answering this question....yet.

nice write up Doug Piston :thumbs up

Last edited:

doug piston

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Wow! Someone who hasn't gotten tired of answering this question....yet.

nice write up Doug Piston :thumbs up

One minor spelling correction though...Be sure to chock the front tires. Some noob might misinterpret and just mark his tires with chalk and then lose a hand when the car moves and falls off the jackstands.
fixed, you chalker

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup... 99-00 SI or integras rear disc brakes will work... just make sure u get some braided steel lines for your rear ones..

new2honda

5+ Year Member
ok so most of what i can find is for 96-00 and for 02-05. what i want to know is about a 01 ex, id like to do a disc brake converions to it what rear brakes should i get?

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
new2honda said:
ok so most of what i can find is for 96-00 and for 02-05. what i want to know is about a 01 ex, id like to do a disc brake converions to it what rear brakes should i get?
01-05 Civic or 02-05 RSX

CivicKid95

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for that whole write up, would it basically be the same for a 92-95?

Interlinker

THe doctor is in...
5+ Year Member
Pretty much... I've done one before... getting ready to do it again real soon... the problem is trying to find discs without abs if you don't have it on your vehicle.... and also, don't forget to replace your proportioning valve so the proper amount of fluid goes to the rear... may not be needed, but replacing it does make a difference!!! Hope this tidbit helps!

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good post man, i am thinking of doing that to my car.

venger

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Interlinker said:
Pretty much... I've done one before... getting ready to do it again real soon... the problem is trying to find discs without abs if you don't have it on your vehicle.... and also, don't forget to replace your proportioning valve so the proper amount of fluid goes to the rear... may not be needed, but replacing it does make a difference!!! Hope this tidbit helps!
I'm not sure why this matters at least I hope the hell not since I already bought the parts of a '96 gsr and should be shipping soon. I was told the ABS basically replaces the proportioning valve and then there's sensors on the breaks, but afaik they are not required for the brakes to function and can be removed.

RiceburnerRyan

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the prop valve isnt NEEDED .. but i would reccommend it ... also... you dont need the steel braided lines either.. im using stock GSR lines, and the car had ABS

Oni

konyero
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I put 99-00 SI rear disks on my 98 EX about 6 months ago. I bought the front & rear brakes with the rear sway bar and a 7/8" master cylinder for $300.
The hardest part of the whole thing was reaching the the little bolts holding the clamps for the E brake cables.
I would suggest bleeding the s**t out of your brake lines to make sure there is no air in there at all.... and especially if you change the proportioning valve during the swap. I had to bleed my at least three times before getting it right.
If you have an EK and plan on changing the proporitoning valve, get the one for a 99-00 SI for the easiest swap. I did and the part bolted up in like 5 minutes with no modification needed whatsoever. The Integra proportioning valves may work but the ones I've seen pictures of on the internet don't look the same at all.
I went with the SI valve because brakes are the one thing I don't want to f**k up.
Here some links I've saved from my research before the swap. There's tons of s**t out there man.
:google: << is your friend
civicland 6th gen brake swap
Knology Civic Brake Info
HAZone 6th Gen Civic Rear Disc Swap
Swap your Drums for Si Discs
HybridGarage 5G Rear Disk Brake Swap
The Brake Bible

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oni said:
I put 99-00 SI rear disks on my 98 EX about 6 months ago. I bought the front & rear brakes with the rear sway bar and a 7/8" master cylinder for $300.
The hardest part of the whole thing was reaching the the little bolts holding the clamps for the E brake cables.
I would suggest bleeding the s**t out of your brake lines to make sure there is no air in there at all.... and especially if you change the proportioning valve during the swap. I had to bleed my at least three times before getting it right.
If you have an EK and plan on changing the proporitoning valve, get the one for a 99-00 SI for the easiest swap. I did and the part bolted up in like 5 minutes with no modification needed whatsoever. The Integra proportioning valves may work but the ones I've seen pictures of on the internet don't look the same at all.
I went with the SI valve because brakes are the one thing I don't want to f**k up.
Here some links I've saved from my research before the swap. There's tons of s**t out there man.
:google: << is your friend
civicland 6th gen brake swap
Knology Civic Brake Info
HAZone 6th Gen Civic Rear Disc Swap
Swap your Drums for Si Discs
HybridGarage 5G Rear Disk Brake Swap
The Brake Bible

Thanks for the info!.... alot of people have told me that i dont need to change the proValve.. they told me its just all bolt ons.... i got my disc off an 00' Si. there not installed yet,but will be soon..

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 99-00 Civic SI Proportioning Valve should only be only be used if you are going to convert your rear drum brakes to disc brakes. This valve will give you proper brake pressure. Not using this valve will give your brakes uneven distribution of pressure to the rear, causing unwanted effects not intended by honda.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EJ's Rule! said:
The 99-00 Civic SI Proportioning Valve should only be only be used if you are going to convert your rear drum brakes to disc brakes. This valve will give you proper brake pressure. Not using this valve will give your brakes uneven distribution of pressure to the rear, causing unwanted effects not intended by honda.
so where can i find one of these Proportion Valves you speak of?

venger

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stealership

The dealership quoted me $107 new and the last three ebay auctions ended between 52 and 65 dollars and 5-10 shipping. I'm about to say f it and get it from the dealer. At least I can say its clean inside and out and should outlast the car =).

EDIT: check out this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=56232 for pics. you can see how much different one from an integra ~can~ be.

Last edited: