Rear hatch latch stuck closed 98 dx

bdyer

5+ Year Member
Any solutions to this would be greatly appreciated...
The latch on the hatch of my 98 honda dx hatch is stuck shut. I took off the inside plastic trim, and the locking mechanism seems to be working fine, both inside and out. The hatch handle on the outside is working fine.The problem seems to be with the latch mechanism itself- the hook thingy on the hatch won't come out of the metal loop on the car body.
Is there any benefit to unscrewing the latch mechanism from either the tailgate or the car body?
I really need to open the hatch!
Suggestions, pictures of the latch, mechanical diagram, manual pages, anything would help.
Thanks so much.
-B

dx driver 99

5+ Year Member
I dont know if this will help but I had the same problem with my DX, only difference is mine is a 99. The lock would always get stuck and thus the hatch itself. The only thing that I found that worked was taking the back plastic cover off and spraying the mechanism with wd40, putting the key in and jiggling it about. Eventually it worked and I got it open. Also when it acts up like this ever so often I just turn the key to the lock side then to the open side and that seems to do the trick. Also I found that the mechanism seems to be temperature sensitive, meaning that mine acts up in really cold weather (not getting frozen I know the difference) and in really hot weather it gets tricky. So its a shot in the dark but that might be a contributing factor?

Like I said I dont know if that helps but it did the trick for me.

hondamnit99

5+ Year Member
mine did the same, try lining up the part it latchs to. it may have been slamned and could be bent, the easiest may is to go to your local honda salvage yard and get a new latch, i had to. they are only like 8$