rear lca bolts self threading or are there nuts?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was just at the dealership to pick up new LCA bolts to prep for the installation of my Skunk2 LCA's and I ask if there are any nuts for the other side of the LCA for the bolts to thread into. The diagram he printed out didn't show any and he said there weren't any in the computer. But when I look under the car on the stock LCA's, it looks like there are separate nuts. And the Skunk2 LCA's didn't come with anything besides the LCA and the poly bushings.

So what are the bolts supposed to thread into if the parts dept at the Honda dealership says there aren't any nuts I can buy? :wtf:. I don't want to re-use the OEM hardware that's on the car already. Hence why I bought all new bolts for both entire LCAs. They're all rusted beyond f**k and who knows if I'll even be able to get them off.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nvm got my answer else where

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On the trailing arm and subframe side, there are "nuts" welded to the chassis that the LCA bolts thread into. They aren't separate, they are welded on. Where the sway bar connects, there's a separate nut.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
before you go wrenching on the lca bolts, soak them in some sort of corrosion breaker fluid the day before like seafoam or wd40 or something. it will make your life a lot easier

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
On the trailing arm and subframe side, there are "nuts" welded to the chassis that the LCA bolts thread into. They aren't separate, they are welded on. Where the sway bar connects, there's a separate nut.
Yeah found that out over on D-Series not too long ago.

Thanks for clearing that up Ev :thumbup:.

before you go wrenching on the lca bolts, soak them in some sort of corrosion breaker fluid the day before like seafoam or wd40 or something. it will make your life a lot easier
Already soaked them with about 3/4 of a can of PB blaster yesterday. Gonna soak them again in a bit.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No problem, good luck with the install and make sure to take pics afterward :thumbup:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Already soaked them with about 3/4 of a can of PB blaster yesterday. Gonna soak them again in a bit.
:thumbs up

good luck. post pics!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm thinking about doing them today since I have the next 4 hours free. But I don't wanna get caught with them breaking and then having to get it towed to my buddy's house so he can torch the s**t off. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get to work for the rest of the week :???:.

Oh yeah and shocks should be coming in today :lol:.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do it all at the same time, it will make it so much easier.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm considering that.

Been asking an a local forum for places / people that will install the shocks / springs for me since I don't have a compressor or anything and I kinda don't wanna die lol... So I might as well get charged a bit more for the LCA's.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can rent a spring compressor from most hardware stores. that's what i did. definitely wait to do everything at once though, no need pulling lca's off twice in a week

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can rent a spring compressor from most hardware stores. that's what i did. definitely wait to do everything at once though, no need pulling lca's off twice in a week
x2

Just don't aim the spring compressor at your face.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
x2

Just don't aim the spring compressor at your face.
:rolf: that's the only thing I'm scared about. Which is why I prefer a shop or a local Honda guru with experience / knowledge to do it for me.

I called a local shop that someone on a local forum referred me to and the owner ball parked $3-400 for shocks, lowering springs, rear lower control arms, and an alignment :shock:. Way too expensive for me.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do it yourself. I didn't become a honda guru by reading a book overnight. I have battle scars ;)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
x2 on the battle scars

take an afternoon off and grab a buddy. one person pulls the springs/shocks off the car while the other swaps the shocks out. it took me an afternoon to do all 4 by myself with a shitty tool selection :lol:

with the spring compressor, just make sure you dont pull down on one side of the spring more than the other. that's how they slip and pop off the compressor. do it evenly and slowly, and just enough to get the tension off the hat

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still need to hear from local guys. A buddy of mine from high school is a Honda guru and has done swaps and lots of other stuff on his own. He's offered to help me for other things so I'm hoping he'll help me with this and (hopefully) not ask for a lot ;).

I'd be willing to work with him and learn. I just don't want to f**k this up and do it on my own and shoot a spring through my car or something :lol:.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you have a haynes or chiltons manual it would help too. doing the springs is almost as simple as doing the exhaust. its just that when youre done with 1 corner, you have 3 to go and running out of beer quick :scurred:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
24 pack of brew = much cheaper than shop labor quote ;)

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If I was in Rochester right now I'd give you a hand. You can go to Advance in Henrietta on Jefferson and rent a spring compressor. It's pretty easy. I did all my shocks and springs in a couple hours the first time I did it. Just make sure you hit those bolts again with PB.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the lowering of my car was one of the first things i attempted. it was tricky. i was scared of it shooting out too but it wasnt too hard. its definately easier w a buddy because if you hit a wall, theres another set of eyes to correct the s**t you didnt see up close. good luck. pics definately.