Rear Left Speaker Not Working. Need Help

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi Everyone

I have a speaker problem. My left rear speaker will not play any sound when it is grounded to the frame.

if i have the speaker plugged in but not bolted to the frame it works as well as the other speakers. but once i go to bolt it up thats when it shuts of the rear right speaker too and itself.

i changed out the deck thinking it was that and it wasnt.

could it be the speaker is bad? a fuse? what could it be?

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
If you are talking about the speakers in the rear deck, then they are not supposed to be grounded to the frame.

The negative runs to the head unit and then the head unit is grounded, that's why it works when its plugged in.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
grounded.... i mean bolted to the frame. if you know honda speakers, really any car, not just honda you know that the metal part of the speaker comes in contact with the frame when being screwed into place. this is the way that they are manufactured to be placed in the car.

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
I got da same prob dude...ma left rear speaker goes and comes..i thought it was the speaker but i change it and the same prob. is happening wit the new ones

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it's probably shorted out. When you bolt it on, open your trunk and test the leads with a multimeter.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
grounded.... i mean bolted to the frame. if you know honda speakers, really any car, not just honda you know that the metal part of the speaker comes in contact with the frame when being screwed into place. this is the way that they are manufactured to be placed in the car.
Oh ok ,gotcha

The way you said it made it sound like you were running a wire from the speaker to the actual frame of the car.

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've had a few shorts in my cars speaker wire before. Sometimes the plastic casing
breaks and it shorts out on some metal or it could be exposed wire from connection to the speaker is hitting something when it's tightened down. The last one would be my guess.

I would be troubleshooting today but it's raining hard and I can live without my subs for a little bit.