Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement on 1993 EX Help

Tino58

I have discovered I have either a missing or bad drivers side rear wheel bearing. A Precision Tune shop quoted $393.00 for replacement and alignment. I went and ordered the part from Oriellys and now my shade tree mechanic is going to install it when the part gets in. My civic has 237K on it. Does anyone have any experience with such a job that they can recommend what other parts I may need or tricks to tell my mechanic about? Much appreciated.

Tino

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
There aren't really any tricks. And if your wheel bearing was missing, your wheel would be wobbling around and probably fall off. ;)

Tino58

Thanks. Hopefully the bearing is still somewhat intact and all that is needing replacement.

faztec1

I would suggest replacing the other side too while he's at it.

Tino58

I never heard from Oriellys about the bearing I ordered. They were supposed to call me Friday or Saturday. They were going to sell me a $10.00 bearing part. I went to Advance and ordered the part and was told they don't carry it and they sold me the whole Hub Bearing that cost just over $50.00 I hope that is the right part and that it is not too hard to replace.

DuckIt

You will have to buy a hub bearing, that is correct.

If you have any mechanical skill you can do it yourself. Replace the Nut while your at it. All you really need is a 19mm for the wheel lug nuts, and a 32mm and breaker bar for the spindle nut, along with a torque wrench to reinstall. Theyre very easy to do, especially rears.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Is it rear disc? Brakes will have to come off also. You're going to want a write brush, a hammer, pry bar and wd-40. The race is not going to come off easy. Its a little collar that slides over the spindle that the hub sets on. It usually gets stuck on there. Soak it with pb blaster or wd-40 and wire brush it as clean as possible. Work it off with the pry bar or large screw driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Tino58

Got it done. The part I got (the hub) was all I needed. My mechanic put in on in less than 30 minutes and only charged me $20.00 Makes me wonder about the local Precision Tune shop I went to that told me it was a $393.00 job that would take 2 hrs.. I guess once you walk through there door your labeled a sucker. The greedy service writer could have probably got me for $200.00, but way overshot that. Thanks everyone, for all the help!

Tino

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
It should be a 30 minute job, but it can easily turn into a couple hour job. Like I stated above about the race getting stuck. So he probably over shot it to be safe. At least let's hope. Glad it was cheap and easy though. Did that take care of your problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Tino58

Yes, it did. I will be seeing my mechanic tomorrow for my truck and will ask him about that race. Thanks for pointing that out.