Rebuild question?

2fast.

5+ Year Member
so i am planning on rebuilding my d16y8 block n' getting 75.5 mm Vitara Pistons along with a block guard&rods etc. My question is, if i bore out the block am i going to have to get a block guard that is specifically for a 75.5mm block? or is it one size fits all?haha

Oh, and also! How long do vitara's usually last? This car will be my daily driver and after the rebuild i'm turboing it. Someone told me that they usually only last 25k miles, so just wanted to see if that's true or not. Thanks!

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Block guards go in the water jacket so boring it won't affect it.
!!! But the proper way to do a block guard is to get it pressed in, THEN bored. If done the other way around you can egg shape the cylinders. And vitara builds last as long as any other, just depends on how hard you are on it. Also they yield terribly low compression unless you use custom fjt rods.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Low would be good for boost, but not to low. Just take good maintenance of your car!!!! anything can last, as long as you take care of it

2fast.

5+ Year Member
Eagle H Beam rods wouldn't work? The low compression is what im looking for,as i will be boosting it after the rebuild.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Oh they'll work, but the compression will be silly low. Like 7.5:1 low with the eagle rods, 8.5:1 with fjt rods.

2fast.

5+ Year Member
Do you know where i could find these fjt rods? I did a quick google search and didn't find what i was lookin for.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you know where i could find these fjt rods? I did a quick google search and didn't find what i was lookin for.
you dont need the fjt rods... eagle, or any other will work. you just need to use more boost is all.

2fast.

5+ Year Member
well i am only rebuilding the block for now, turboing it, than maybe rebuilding the head. If i have to run higher psi wouldn't that be bad on the head over time?

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ok well it will be slow as hell out of boost with that low of compression. It's not like a vitara build is all out so why treat it so? Lower compression isn't always best. Normal compression is best for a driver build

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok well it will be slow as hell out of boost with that low of compression. It's not like a vitara build is all out so why treat it so? Lower compression isn't always best. Normal compression is best for a driver build
which is true... but i was simply stating that he can still run eagle rods or whatever with vitaras and still drive it... people use the vitara/ eagle combo pretty regularly without problems.