recieved my hood pins today?

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my hood pins came in today and i need to get them put on my cf hood asap. i drive on the interstate quite abit and i see my hood flexing like a b***h.
i was wondering if there are specific ways to drill the holes for them? i would take it to a shop but why waste 60 bucks when i could do it? i kinda have an idea but dont want to f**k up my hood. lol
any info would help alot.
thanks

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pay to have it done, if its that cheap

JHMEG8

5+ Year Member
Heres a how to:

1) Install pins in location of where you want them
2) Dab some grease or removable paint on the very tip of the pins
3) Now genly close your hood and let the tip of the pins touch the underside of your hood (where the grease/paint touches is where you will be drilling)
4) Drill
5) Install and from here is pretty much self explanitory.. good luck!

devo1104

5+ Year Member
how much did the pins run you? i noticed my hood has been bouncing around more than i'd like.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
some sparco hood pins are like a hundred bucks or so but you can get cheap ones for like 20-30 bucks. they also have some push down latches you might have to get these installed though they are like $250 but they push down and pop the hood up they look really sweet and not all tacky like some hood pins are i had them on my old jetta

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have NRG hood pins. Just haven't put em on yet. I like em cuz they don't really look like hood pins. Like so....

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just my opinion on the matter, but i think you're all wasting money on hood pins. I've been running a CF hood for 3 years now and i've never had an issue with it. I've even made a few 800+ mile trips in my car running @ 80-85mph the whole time without issues.

Just my 2cents though, take from it what you will. Everyone has their own peeves :lol:

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for everyones input. i payed like 25 bucks shipped. i bought them on ebay :/ lol
ill take pics of the process and show yall how it goes.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just my opinion on the matter, but i think you're all wasting money on hood pins. I've been running a CF hood for 3 years now and i've never had an issue with it. I've even made a few 800+ mile trips in my car running @ 80-85mph the whole time without issues.

Just my 2cents though, take from it what you will. Everyone has their own peeves :lol:
I had a question and it looks like you answered it for me. I always wondered why people insist that you use hood pins with carbon hoods. Seems to me like I wouldn't want to drill holes in a hood that expensive if it wasn't needed. Then again, I wouldn't want to lose it on the freeway either... My guess would be if your latch is working proper then you shouldn't need the pins.

On the subject of the pins, stay away from the cheap knock offs! I had them on the deck lid of my drag bug and they rusted in a very short time. Spend the money and get the right ones. You will be happy in the long run. Plus with them going on a very expensive hood, why cheap out on the hardware?

When you drill make sure to put a layer of masking tape down to keep the finish protected from the drill bit.

Good luck.

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought em cuz of the "security factor". Not that I have anything of worth in my D series but with the grill I have it'd be simple to pop the latch and just start taking everything out(CF hood, HID's, bumper, fogs+HID's, intake, engine if they wanted I guess lol). That's why I got the NRG ones too cuz they sorta lock with a weird key. The Sparco ones already on the hood came with it so can't really say anything about them.

darksolderx

5+ Year Member
man, those nrg hoodpins look nice, i cant wait to do my CF upgrades to lose some extra lbs on my car <_<

EJ8-Noob

5+ Year Member
I bought em cuz of the "security factor". Not that I have anything of worth in my D series
Same reason I got them, around here people be jacking civic left and right. Just a another layer of protection. Plus I like the look.