Reclearing Carbon Fiber Hood.

RomoCivic

Hey guys I'm new here so i'm not positive on where to post this.

I've been looking around to see how reclearing a carbon fiber hood should be done properly and I've read a lot.
So far what i have read is having dishsoap and water to spray, using 800 grit wet or dry sand paper. 1000 grit, 1200 grit or 1500 grit. Washing, waxing, clearing, polishing, etc.
But just would like to hear any other idea's or suggestions anyone may have to help me out.
I may sell this or trade it for a stock hood so there may not be progress pics :P
I can post close up pictures of it if it is asked for.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know how to do it, but if you can salvage the hood, do it! Carbon fiber > oem.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys I'm new here so i'm not positive on where to post this.

I've been looking around to see how reclearing a carbon fiber hood should be done properly and I've read a lot.
So far what i have read is having dishsoap and water to spray, using 800 grit wet or dry sand paper. 1000 grit, 1200 grit or 1500 grit. Washing, waxing, clearing, polishing, etc.
But just would like to hear any other idea's or suggestions anyone may have to help me out.
You answered everything you need. No other suggestions really and not really any other way around it. If you want to do it right you need to get all of that dead clear off and recoat it. Half assing it will lead to half ass results. Have to put in some elbow grease to get that thing back to life. That is if the sun didn't already destroy the carbon fiber because of the clear being destroyed for so long.

RomoCivic

Oh yeah if i do it, I'm going to do it right.
It came with the car when i bought it, wasn't to terrible in the beginning but after a couple months until i had time to get the engine repaired it slowly got worse. And i got the car for 600 or 800. So no money lost for me if i can't restore it.