Recommended Springs / Shocks Combo...

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright Guys,

Im pieicing together the parts im gonna use for my K24 project and i still havent figured out what i want to do with the suspension.

Originally i was gonna go with coilovers but have been put off by reports of harsh ride quality (D2's) and lack of lowering ability (Teins/ KSports) so i think it would be best for me to go for a spring / shock combo and save a bit of money at the same time.

I want to lower about 60mm so the H&R Race set is what im after. Ive heard good reports on these. How do these ride, are they ok for DD?

Now, i just need to sort a shock. Im after a comfortable ride quality, almost like OEM if possible. A friend told me Koni Yellows are very stiff, even on the softest setting, is this true?

Ive seen you guys recommend the KYB AGX, do these have a nice smooth comfy ride at all? Any other shocks i should think of buying?

Thanks for reading!

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what springs did your friend have his koni yellow paired with? Cause if it was race springs that was the problem.

Race springs will handle awesome, but are gonna ride like a f**kin train.

You want sport springs like h&r sport, neuspeed sport, or eibach sportline. I reccomend pairing em with either tokico illuminas or koni yellows. Hope this helps.

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Will those other springs offer me a good drop tho? Could i even cut the spring to achieve a lower drop?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cutting the spring is generally a bad idea, cause if you dont get it even on all the springs the car will have lean, as well as often be really bouncy.

on my old accord with illuminas the different was negliglble between the springs, it was almost as low with h&r sport as it was on neuspeed race, but rode a hell of a lot better.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
agx's have adjustable damping plus i hear theyre comfortable with hr race...not soft but comfortable...and this is at factory stiffness..

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i love how everyone goes on what they hear instead of actual experience with products

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So Neuspeed Race w/ KYB AGX would be a good set up? Less harsh than with the H&R?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
neuspeed race is stiff as hell with anything. Ive tried em on both my 94 accord with illuminas and 96 integra with stock shocks.

If you wanna go with what Astheros HEARD is a comfortable setup which is h&r race on agx go for it

im lettin you know now though that i have personal experience with the following.

Neuspeed race on stock struts on a 94 accord. Bounced a lot and rode like ass
Neuspeed race on tokico illuminas on a 94 accord. Very stiff and cornered awesome, but not comfortable as a daily. I did a 1200 mile road trip with these on to arizona and back from northern california
H&R sport on tokico illuminas on a 94 accord. Rode pretty good. Had the struts set on '4' all around

Neuspeed race on stock struts on 96 integra. Rode ok, but very stiff, not as bouncy as the accord though, maybe cause the car weighs 500 lbs less
H&R sport on stock struts on 96 integra. Rode great. Would still be riding these if i didnt get a great deal on my new setup
Eibach sportlines with tokico blues on 96 integra. Had these on my car for 4 months now and its a pretty nice setup. I dont notice the blues being much better than stock struts were

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm, seems the H&R & Neuspeed race are both stiff. My car is lowered at the min and the ride is ok, not earth shattering. Ive heard Tanabe and Tenzo-R springs ride low?

When u describe stiff, do u mean if you hit a slight imperfection in the road, the car will bounce all over the place?

Cambo

5+ Year Member
hey man im lookin at a suspension set up too...i heard tein s-tech's an koni yellows ride pretty well with a good drop.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on stock shocks yes neuspeed race had the car bounce all over the place. Otherwise it was just a real harsh ride if you hit something, you felt it in the car,

As far as s-techs and yellows .... they probably do ride good. Akuma on here used to have illuminas and stechs on his 2000 civic hx coupe and ive ridden in it as a passenger and the ride was very close to stock, but with some stiffness .... wasnt that low though, he switched out the stechs for neuspeed race .... and he seems to like em

BlackEkCoupe

5+ Year Member
what abut skunk 2 springs and illuminas? or skunk 2 springs and yellows?
which do you think is better?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from what i understand yellows are better than illuminas, but i dont have personal experience with yellows or skunk 2 springs.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Melt said:
from what i understand yellows are better than illuminas, but i dont have personal experience with yellows or skunk 2 springs.
hey dude....just chill a bit...i didnt say i knew for sure...i said thats what i heard...he can take it for what it is...so just relax.