Regarding the New To The Site Section

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just a reminder - If we want to continue to increase site activity, the #1 thing you guys can do from your end is to welcome members to the site in the New To The Site section. This is frequently the first interaction new members have with us. If we show ourselves to be a welcoming community, it makes people want to stay longer. A few members have caught onto this already and have begun consistently welcoming new members.

When you're sitting here refreshing off topic to see if anything new has been posted, take a second to drop a line to a new member in the new to site section. I'd say that's the biggest way you could help out CC. Just a suggestion ;)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And thank you everyone who has been welcoming new members, we appreciate it!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think it's like reading the EULA, just accept and then post "HEEEEELLLP! My car is broekn, lulz. Halp, do it for me"

I'll add it to my "Welcome" message however. In most cases, it's like hitching the cart to the horse that's already left for town...

Edit: Isn't this like responding to their first post, saying their first post should be in the New To The Site section? Or did I miss something.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think it's like reading the EULA, just accept and then post "HEEEEELLLP! My car is broekn, lulz. Halp, do it for me"

I'll add it to my "Welcome" message however. In most cases, it's like hitching the cart to the horse that's already left for town...

Edit: Isn't this like responding to their first post, saying their first post should be in the New To The Site section? Or did I miss something.
Your response confused the hell out of me. :lol:

I'm saying we should welcome members in the new to site section. You already do this all the time. :lol:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
How about a message that pops up, telling new comers how to formulate their questions in a cohesive manner. Deleting them if they do not follow the forum rules.

Many other forums do this, it keeps the trashy useless threads from cluttering up the site. Not to mention saves us the headache of trying to read their minds.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That would be a great thread in its appropriate forum. It's not something I have control over, but post it up in site suggestions and Justin may have a way to make that happen.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your response confused the hell out of me. :lol:

I'm saying we should welcome members in the new to site section. You already do this all the time. :lol:
Absolutely, I try to say hi to the new guys that post, no matter where it is.

What I'm getting at is a lot of the new members post everywhere else, and some of them will just make their first post a very vague "technical" post in a random section regarding the issue that brought them here. At that point, the use of "New to the Site" section has been completely steam rolled by ignorance.

How about a message that pops up, telling new comers how to formulate their questions in a cohesive manner. Deleting them if they do not follow the forum rules.

Many other forums do this, it keeps the trashy useless threads from cluttering up the site. Not to mention saves us the headache of trying to read their minds.
I think we'd lose a lot of members. And I'm not saying it would be a bad thing if some of them went away, but some of them are frazzled and will post in a rush to get something "fixed". They may not be such bad users after. But then again, I could be giving them a lot of credit and they could be completely useless hobnobs...

I like that idea though.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I see what you're talking about. I don't think there's a lot we can do to force members to post an intro thread. We can try to suggest it when answering their first post, but I think the larger problem right now is that some do post an intro thread and aren't welcomed, or are only welcomed by one or two people.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i don't welcome anyone who doesn't post a picture

haha
I believe that... we love our pictures here. btw, 7 posts in 3 years? wtf? :lol:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe that... we love our pictures here. btw, 7 posts in 3 years? wtf? :lol:

I guess people really don't post pictures all that often when he's on :lol:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol. I guess not.

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
haha. i forgot about this site. i frequent 8thcivic -- not too much here for me. figured i'd get back on and see what's up.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are very few in the breed of people that actually make an introduction thread. I have been on MANY forums in my internet lifetime and have never made an intro on any of them.

Does anyone in here have an intro thread on this site from when they joined?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There are very few in the breed of people that actually make an introduction thread. I have been on MANY forums in my internet lifetime and have never made an intro on any of them.

I might.. let me look way back into the deep deep internet...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope.. 15 year old Joey's first post was asking if he should get z3 fenders or some equally ricey spoiler :lol:

The crazy part? NOBODY flamed. Not even a little bit....

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oct '11 was a post about when my heating wasn't working. I responded to myself and then the thread died. Somewhat accurate depiction of some of the things that still happen.

Also, might I add, no one helped me then and I still stuck around. Bet you guys are happy for that!