remote turbo

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
ok so it looks as though the only way to keep my A/C and turbocharge is to use a remote turbo system. ive done some searching and have not found a company that currently offers a system, STS and the like.

so i guess i shall go it alone. ive seen a few things on youtube that look like successfull renditions of the remote technology. has anyone here concidered remote turbocharging as an option? i think there is great benifit to it and im going to move forward with this option.

any thoughts, ideas, objections?

the platform is a 1995 dx coupe, running a 94 integra obd1 non vtec mill. target power is 250hp on pump gas.
i will probably run piggy back fuel controller and boost control via apexi.

-chris

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
These kits have always seemed like a bad idea to me. I don't like the concept of positioning a (potentially) $2,000 turbo, and $400 wastegate on the underside of my car, exposed. Not to mention, if you're lowered, you're gonna scrape it/smack it on s**t.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
ok so it looks as though the only way to keep my A/C and turbocharge is to use a remote turbo system. ive done some searching and have not found a company that currently offers a system, STS and the like.

so i guess i shall go it alone. ive seen a few things on youtube that look like successfull renditions of the remote technology. has anyone here concidered remote turbocharging as an option? i think there is great benifit to it and im going to move forward with this option.

any thoughts, ideas, objections?

the platform is a 1995 dx coupe, running a 94 integra obd1 non vtec mill. target power is 250hp on pump gas.
i will probably run piggy back fuel controller and boost control via apexi.

-chris
It isn't 2002 anymore, there are much better options out there.

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
These kits have always seemed like a bad idea to me. I don't like the concept of positioning a (potentially) $2,000 turbo, and $400 wastegate on the underside of my car, exposed. Not to mention, if you're lowered, you're gonna scrape it/smack it on s***.
that was something i had thought of. i wouldnt be lowering the car more than 3/4 of an inch so im not as worried about banging it up. but haveing it exposed that way was really the only con to the setup that i could come up with. so i agree with you on that front.

my muffler actually rusted off just past the axle back point and the space looks big enough to house a turbo. im pretty good at fabricating so i thought if i had to i could cut out an area just beside the frame rail and weld in a box that would allow me to set the turbo higher into the trunk space. also i had already been dreaming up a scheeme to make a belly pan for the car that would integrate a rear air splitter which would protect the precious metals from elements and road crud.

seems lofty im sure, but its going to be an interesting build. money is a factor rite now but i got some commin at the beginning of next year so im sure everyone will have enough time to forget about it.

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
Exactly. There are A/C manifolds specifically for that, if that's the major problem.
ive been searching for such things, and have come up empty handed. im not a wiz on the internet and i dont get much time to search.

every turbo setup or kit ive seen has the A/C deleted. its not really a major issue but the longevity and reliability of the setup is. i know in high hp applications its benifitial to have the turbo close to the engine. what i had in mind was how much cooler the turbo will run out back there, and the flow of exhaust would be more even across the exducer. it just seems that a turbo could potentialy last a lot longer in this configuration.

i got an iron grip on the things i own, its not the best atribute i guess but i just want to have it for a long time without much worry.

on to searching for engine management solutions since its 2013 and i would be a real boner aparently if i used piggy back controllers.:roll:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
log manifolds and mini ram horn manifolds can retain ac

There are PLENTY of manifolds that will retain it, just search it in google and you will get answers

use a standalone management like hondata s300

if you are worried about longevity and money, i would recommend NOT turboing the car. its going to lower its life drastically and to be reliable will need a lot of work besides the turbo parts.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
www.go-autoworks-store.com check them out, they have an option for a/c compatability and have reliable kits. have you thought about how laggy a remote setup would be? the exhaust would have to travel to the back of the car to spool the turbo then the turbo has to fill all the long ass charge pipes before you get boost.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ EXACTLY what I was going to say lol. Check out Go-Autoworks. Greg is a great guy and will definitely help you out. When I bought my kit from him I had AC and no AC options, depending on the size of the downpipe. I ended up getting a 3" downpipe, so I do not have AC, but I know that option IS available :thumbs up

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
i had concidered the lag as well, and the cool side plumbing would be a nightmare. as i thought more about it i would probably take damage to the cool side pipes before anything else, causing a rich running issue and what ever comes with it.
i cant risk a charge air leak. thanks guys for your help and insite on my quest for a turbo LS civic.
-chris

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont give up on the turbo dream, just look around. almost all cast manifolds will retain ac, the main concern is the downpipe which if you have to you could do a 2" from the turbo to under the oil pan then increase to a 2.5-3" exhaust all the way back.

im pretty sure this is a go autoworks downpipe and he makes them using pie cuts to make a really tight radius

and this is there 2.5-3" a/c friendly downpipe

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont give up on the turbo dream, just look around. almost all cast manifolds will retain ac, the main concern is the downpipe which if you have to you could do a 2" from the turbo to under the oil pan then increase to a 2.5-3" exhaust all the way back.

im pretty sure this is a go autoworks downpipe and he makes them using pie cuts to make a really tight radius

and this is there 2.5-3" a/c friendly downpipe

easier solution, reclock the turbo and make downpour for other side

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
easier solution, reclock the turbo and make downpour for other side
what do you mean reclock the turbo? clocking the turbo is only adjusting the housing to get them to line up with the piping, oil feed and drain. do you mean flip the turbo around so the compressor is on the driver side instead of the passenger like it is in the pictures?

i dont have much knowledge of ac turbo setups but from what i have read you cant keep ac unless the compressor is on the passenger side with the exhaust on the driver side, the only thing i could see wrong with doing it that way is you probably couldnt get a filter on the turbo intake

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what do you mean reclock the turbo? clocking the turbo is only adjusting the housing to get them to line up with the piping, oil feed and drain. do you mean flip the turbo around so the compressor is on the driver side instead of the passenger like it is in the pictures?

i dont have much knowledge of ac turbo setups but from what i have read you cant keep ac unless the compressor is on the passenger side with the exhaust on the driver side, the only thing i could see wrong with doing it that way is you probably couldnt get a filter on the turbo intake
you could turn it 180, that what i would do. just run your intercooler piping differently, but housing sizes also factors into this. i also wouldnt run a filter on the housing and there is probably a filter that would fit on

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
i would def have the cool side of the turbo next to the a/c comp. that is a really cool looking down pipe but that just looks too close for comfort. it seems like spirited driving for any extended amount of time would cause heat soak into the a/c comp and cause the oil to burn or melt some seals.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
i would def have the cool side of the turbo next to the a/c comp. that is a really cool looking down pipe but that just looks too close for comfort. it seems like spirited driving for any extended amount of time would cause heat soak into the a/c comp and cause the oil to burn or melt some seals.
You would have to be sitting still, building boost for probably 10 mins before any sort of heat that could damage the a/c compressor would be generated. The turbo would be destroyed before anything like that would happen.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Greddy, Apexi, Edelbrock as well as a bunch of other companies had the hot side next to the a/c it wasn't a problem. The problem with flipping the turbo around is it makes it hard to put a filter on the turbo. That's ok for a drag car, but you don't want a daily driver sucking sand into the turbo.

You could always get the pipe coated and put a blanket on the compressor, but remember heat rises.