Removal of 96-98 front bumper

CivicTemptress

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im trying or will be installing some new headlights and I would like to do it myself. I know that there are bolts for the headlights(headlamps) and bolts that holds up the front bumper . Is there a hidden bolt on the bumper anywhere?? Someone told me that there was but I wasn't for sure. If you know of a website or a forum that will show me how to do it then that is cool. Thanks. :thumbs up

phuzzit

Phuzzit - jj-
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 screws - one in each fender well, then like 4 bolts on the bottom. plus the push screws that hold the front grill in has to come off.
someone correct me if i forgot something. its cake either way.

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are 2 10mm bolts on the underside and then there are 2 screws in each fender well, then the 5 plastic clips on the grill. that should be it, i think there might be 2 clips on the top of the bumper also maybe, i plan on doing the exact same thing u are doing tomorrow and also for the exact same reason.

CivicTemptress

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anybody know what type of screw drivers i need?? going to home depot or walmart to get the stuff. thanks guys

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any screw driver will work, i believe its a phillips one for the screws inside the fender, a flathead will help with the plastic clips, and u will need a 10mm socket to take out the 2 bolts underneath the car

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
especko said:
any screw driver will work, i believe its a phillips one for the screws inside the fender, a flathead will help with the plastic clips, and u will need a 10mm socket to take out the 2 bolts underneath the car
That's correct. On the passenger side underneath the front there is also a phillips tip screw connecting your fender liner to the bumper. Keeps my CAI alot drier. =)

The headlights have two screws on top, don't forget to remove the black metal piece underneath them too (two screws). There is also s screw on each side of each headlight.

So, in summary:
Headlights - 2 on top, 2 on bottom (to remove black metal piece), 1 on either side.
Bumper - 1 in each fender well, 1 on bottom front passenger's side, 2 (10mm) in the middle underside, 7 total clips on top which can easily be popped up with a flat-head screw driver and then removed by hand.

GhettoPuNKkiD

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man, crazy craze! It's not even that much work for the 99-00 ..just the 10mm bolts...heh..insane..no clips..

EG4door7o2

I went from RICE 2 NICE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup all it is is 10 millimeter bolts. u dont even have to actually take out the whole front bumper. I installed black housing headlights on my sisters 97 coupe. i just loosened the bumpers enough to slip out the old headlights and slip in the new ones. as well as being able to unscrew the bolts. then put the bumper on and did the same with the other side. i figured this way it will be more easier to put the bumper on rather then having to try to fit everything at once....but all it is are the 10 mil. bolts

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
taking off the bumper takes like a whole 2 minutes.

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
taking off the bumper takes like a whole 2 minutes.

yes yes it did, just did it yesterday to install my new headlights and grill

CivicTemptress

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
installed the headlights and everything was cool. took me and my girl about,,hmm,,30-45 min. something like that. not too bad,,the lights are looking pretty tight,,hahaha. thanks to everyone who replied . :woot:

CivicMike

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i pulled my front bumper there was 2 screws that weren't accessible and i basically had to rip them out of the car........ whats up with that? (only ripped out passenger side for CAI)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
CivicMike said:
when i pulled my front bumper there was 2 screws that weren't accessible and i basically had to rip them out of the car........ whats up with that? (only ripped out passenger side for CAI)
Where were these screws located at? This is a copy of the page dealing with removing the front bumper from the Honda Civic (96-98) Service Manual PDF. (There is also a phillips tip screw on the passenger side underneath the front tat you will need to remove. It's holding teh fenderwell trim on (keeps my CAI dry).

Last edited:

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm assuming he's talking about the one's on the inside of the whellwell, it takes some work to get a screwdriver up in there

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Maybe it's just my small hands because I never noticed it being a problem.

element_323

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You guys actually had to remove your front bumper to remove your headlights? I didn't even bother removing my front bumper. I just removed the four bolts holding my headlight and off it came. It takes me about 3-5 minutes to take my headlight out.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The bumper os so easy to remove. I see nothign wrong with taking it off. Especially since I take very good care of my car's paint. I wouldn't want to risk scratching it when removing just the headlights if the bumper was still on. (And yes, I place the bumper on towels when I remove it.)

CivicTemptress

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well me and my girl removed the bumper and installed the headlights in less than 30 min. all the screws weren't too hard to find. thanks guys

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
The bumper os so easy to remove. I see nothign wrong with taking it off. Especially since I take very good care of my car's paint. I wouldn't want to risk scratching it when removing just the headlights if the bumper was still on. (And yes, I place the bumper on towels when I remove it.)
Do you lay towels over speed bumps before you go over them? ;)