Remove the outer window trim, please help

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Hi guys,

I have been trying to remove the straight piece trim on the outer side of the window, since it all cracked and show the metal underneath.

I searched for posts about it, but seem no one has ever taken them off before. I saw posts talked about paint the long middle body side trim, but none on the outer trim near the window. I saw the explode view from the manual but still not sure how it would come apart. I really appreciate any help on this. Thanks guys.

ikillradio

I've taken then off i just kinda pryed them off haha. do you have a sedan or coupe

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
yes, i have a sedan. Do you have to take the side mirrors out first. The trim seem to be under the side mirror. What did you pry it off with? and at what spot?

EKcivicGirl

5+ Year Member
I have that same problem. I used a razor blade and sand paper to get it off, but it takes a long time and you have to be careful not to scratch your paint. The part that was peeling bad was easy to get off, but I gave up getting the rest of it off. It would have taken me a few hours+ to do that. I just peeled like half of it off that was cracking, and sanded it down as even as I could. I covered the window glass, and side of my car with newspaper and spray painted it. I had some duplicolor black wheel paint and it matched the trim color really good. It doesn't seem as bright as the regular black. It looks a lot better than before, but not perfect.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know the ones on top of the window just pop off. im pretty sure its the same for the bottom side. Just be careful not to break it off.

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that jus pops right out..just very slowly pry it out .. its jus secured by little green clips at least mine were green.. ven if u semi break the clips it still goes back on securely. i used a flat head.. i fergot how i got to one of the ends of that trim.. try removing your side mirrors.. but if u can figure that out just stick the screwdriver in the the little gap n pull up verry slowly if u dont want to break the clips. theres about 3 or 4 clips i believe

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
sounded fragile, hehe. Well, but i'll give it a shot anyway since the crack plastic really bothered me every time i look at the car. I'll let you know how it go

Thanks for the respond u guys.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sand it down and throw on the black tape ;) works like a charm. ill post pics if i remember

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do the door panels need to be removed for this?

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a flathead and put a couple strips of duct tape over the end of it and then pry away, will help you from scratching the paint, its how most people de-badge their cars.......and no need to remove the door panel, just roll down your window maybe the clips are on the inside (i have no idea)

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Well, i haven't had the time to take the trim off yet until weekend, also since it may rain so probably not a good idea having the trim off; however, good news is i was able to pop one end of the trim off by pull it up with my fingers. This one end is side that close the door handle, but the other end was under the mirror so i may have to take the mirror out first which require to take the panel off too.

Anyway, i'll definitely update with pictures and detail on how to take it off (hopefully this weekend). That is if i can take it off...hehe =)

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, i haven't had the time to take the trim off yet until weekend, also since it may rain so probably not a good idea having the trim off; however, good news is i was able to pop one end of the trim off by pull it up with my fingers. This one end is side that close the door handle, but the other end was under the mirror so i may have to take the mirror out first which require to take the panel off too.

Anyway, i'll definitely update with pictures and detail on how to take it off (hopefully this weekend). That is if i can take it off...hehe =)
im pretty sure you can just take the tweeter out to get to the mirror

6thPearlCivic

5+ Year Member
Tweeter? hehehe i wished i have those. Just manual side mirror :(

Maybe after upgrade to power door, mirror and lock...then the tweeter can go in.

Anywayz, here some is a good news, Since i have sedan, so i played with the back seat window trim. By gently pull one end up slowly the whole thing came off. Here are some pictures
After trim come off....ah a little dirty after 11 years..:P

damn crack ugly trim

nice lovely lime tab

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just pulled my left rear trim today, cause it had the cracks and just looked bad. I took a knife and scraped all the old junk rubber off of the front down to the metal, and just spray painted it black. Looks way better, and I am going to do the rest as soon as I can.
P.S. Yes I know this thread is old.