Remving the oil pan

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
Hey so im going to remove my oil pan on my Honda civic ex 1998. I have loosen all but 4 screws. I''m having trouble getting around the lower exhaust pipe. As well it looks like the motor/transmission is interfering.
Can someone please direct me how to proceed to remove the oil pan with details.
I looked in the manual but it only shows installing not removing the pan. Thanks

RonJ

Banned
You need to drain the engine oil and remove exhaust pipe A, the engine stiffeners, and the clutch housing cover. And the oil pan has more than 4 nuts and bolts.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
cools, thanks. I know the oil pan has more than 4 nuts and bolts. How many bolts does the exhaust pipe A , engine stiffeners, clutch housing cover?

RonJ

Banned
Yes, you'll find them in the 96-00 Civic service manual, though not in a single location as there are no specific instructions for removal of the oil pan.

kakatotti

5+ Year Member
Man removing these bolts is a pain. How would i go about removing the exhaust pipe A self locking nuts? Since their are hoses in the way.

RonJ

Banned
Man removing these bolts is a pain. How would i go about removing the exhaust pipe A self locking nuts? Since their are hoses in the way.
What hoses? Post pics.

For any exhaust bolts, soak them in PB Blaster for at least an hour before attempting to break them loose.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
BTW when you tighten the bolts dont forget to torque then to 104 inch pounds or you have terrible leaks.