Replace AC Compressor

Newby

Replace AC Compressor in 2000 Honda Civic EX

Hello,

My AC Compressor in my 2000 Honda Civic EX is bad. I took the car to a Machenic to look at and tested the AC Compressor. (I looked at what he tested) There is no Freeon in the AC Compressor now because it leaks. Furthermore, the AC Compressor is not engaged (bad) either. He told me to buy a used AC Compressor from a Junkyard to replace it then, if I want, I can take it back to him to charge the Freeon in for me. That way I can save $$$.

I just bought a used one from the junkyard yesterday. I'll replace it sometime this week but this is my first time to replace an AC Compressor, so I have questions for you guys to help me out before I do the job. Below are my questions:

1. Can you tell me the steps how to replace an AC Compressor?
2. Can I replace the AC Compressor and then take the car to a shop to charge the freeon by a Machenic?

I need your subjections guys.

Last edited:

codeman76

Take it to a shop that can evacuate the a/c system first. They can reuse your freon after the a/c compressor has been installed. Unless you had a leak and it is low or empty.

Newby

Take it to a shop that can evacuate the a/c system first. They can reuse your freon after the a/c compressor has been installed. Unless you had a leak and it is low or empty.
Sorry, I did not make it clear above. But here the information: I already took the car to a Machenic to look at and tested the AC Compressor. (I looked at what he tested) There is no Freeon in the AC Compressor now because it leaks. Furthermore, the AC Compressor is not engaged (bad) either. Then he told me to buy one from a Junkyard to replace it then, if I want, I can take it back to him to charge the Freeon for me. That's why I ask you for help.

codeman76

Did he tell you where it was leaking from? You need to get the leak fixed first before you recharge the a/c system. To remove the a/c compressor just take off the a/c compressor belt remove the a/c compressor lines from the a/c compressor then remove the 4 bolts holding the a/c compressor to the mounting bracket. Don't forget to replace the little o rings with new ones on the a/c lines connecting to the a/c compressor.

codeman76

Also it is fairly easy to recharge your a/c system yourself. You can buy r134a refrigerant just about anywhere auto parts are sold. Just follow the directions on the back of the can. Just make sure you get the leak fixed first or it will just all leak back out. If you don't think you have the knowhow to do it just take it to a shop to get it recharged.

Newby

Did he tell you where it was leaking from? You need to get the leak fixed first before you recharge the a/c system. To remove the a/c compressor just take off the a/c compressor belt remove the a/c compressor lines from the a/c compressor then remove the 4 bolts holding the a/c compressor to the mounting bracket. Don't forget to replace the little o rings with new ones on the a/c lines connecting to the a/c compressor.
I'll double check to see where it leaks because the Machenic didn't tell me exactly where it leaks when I took it to him to check and test.

Thank you so much for your help. I guess the steps you provided me will be very helpful. I'll try to see how I can do and then I'll be back here to let you know. Again, thanks.

Pappy

I recently replaced my compressor with a used one as well. Do i need to put oil in the compressor before i take it to a shop to get it charged?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently replaced my compressor with a used one as well. Do i need to put oil in the compressor before i take it to a shop to get it charged?
ask the mechanic. it depends on if they are adding the pag oil seperate or if its pre mixed with the freon.