Replace distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs?

Dough

5+ Year Member
I was thinking of taking on this little project this weekend. I was wondering what dealer prices for these parts are. Should I just get the parts from the dealer or is there better stuff out there that you guys recommend?

Is there a DIY for this? Any special tools required? (Spark plugs I know how to change, just don't know how to read the colour of the white part to determine whats up with the engine)

The reason i am thinking of replacing the above mentioned parts is that my car (99 dx, d16y7 w/ auto transmission), sometimes makes a less than nice sounding noise when accelerating... liek it doesn't sound as smooth as it used to. The mechanic i usually take my car too did a full tune up a year ago, I am pretty sure he did these parts but I can't check with him as he's away for a while. Should i be replacing stuff at this point (20000 km or 12000 miles)? Any other simple things I can do that might help?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
uhh i dont think replacing the dizzy cap and plug wires is going to make things sound better :what:

but MSD makes great ignition stuff, i would go with them

Dough

5+ Year Member
i guess a better way to say it is, it is not as smooth as I remember...

I still havent found a DIY for ignition stuff on 6th gen civics... :(

dookiehatch

5+ Year Member
hey dough......i would suggest you do this work yourself, buy the parts you want to replace(first find out what NEEDS to be replaced) grab a repair manual, you'll have fun, save money, and learn something new.

if your car seems like its loosing power, it could be a few things. every once in a while i like to replace my filters:

oil and filter
fuel filter and check fuel pressure with a gauge
check distributor cap, clean if it doesnt look to bad, if it does just replace it, replace distributor rotor, or clean the metal tip with a fine grit piece of sandpaper, check spark plugs to make sure the gaps are all the same, when checkin the spark plugs you dont check the white part you check the part which goes in the head(engine) heres what to check for:

carbon deposits
ash deposits
oil deposits
gap bridging
blistered insulator
melted electrode
yellow glazing
cracked/chipped insulator

hope some of thisinfo helps.

dookiehatch

5+ Year Member
also, ignition aint hard at all....i'll write up my own diy for you.

Spark plugs: i recommend NGK...its a good japanese spark plug, great for hondas.

buy a repair manual manual for your car, gap the spark plugs to whatever the gas is, when your putting in the spark plugs, make sure you tighten them to the specified torque, you dont want to over-tighten them and strip your threads.

plug cables: i recommend the thicker ones....ngk are good cables as well....replace one at a time so u dont mix up the firing order, remove a cable, match it up to the the same size on one of the new ones, once you find it put some anti -seize lube on the ends(will help them stay clean and it will make it easy to remove whenever you need to) repeat for all 4.

for the distributor cap and rotor...you will need an 8mm socket and ratchet, with a long extension to remove the 3 bolts which hold the distributor cap in place, set the cap aside without removing the cables, check the cap terminalson the inside where the rotor touches, check for corrosion, white stuff, you can clean it butt might wanna replace it with a new one. the distributor rotor is held in place by a single phillips screw.....you may not see it, have someone help you crank the engine(just a small carnk, dont attempt to start it, just small cranks until you see the screw, remove the screw, pull out the rotor, replace with the new one, re install screw, reinstall cap, tighten cap bolts to specified torque and your good to go.

Dough

5+ Year Member
hey... didnt get around to working much on it this weekend, but i did quickly pull out a spark plug and it was a bit white on the part closest to the piston...tried wiping it off, doesn't wipe off at all...
I didn't look at the brand of plugs that are currently in there, can i get the right NGKs at the dealership? For gapping them i have this round disc that just gets thicker and has the sizing on it, is that good or should i find a new set with the loops?
this is what i currently have: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ullmandevices/ullman001 055.jpg

I have the service manual PDF thats floating around.

I did oil and filter 2 or 3 weeks ago. Fuel filter, I will look into that one.

dookiehatch

5+ Year Member
yeah go ahead and use ur round coin lookin spark plug gap tool....look for ngk spark plugs in any auto parts store in your are...i would'nt try buyin a set from the dealer, you can get the exact same kind elsewhere for less than half the price of the dealer. i hope my diy write up helped you somehow.

and dont fall for that +2 or +4 spark plugs with the 2 or 4 electrodes, thats all bullshit and waste of money. a simple set of ngk's will do the best imo. good luck

Dough

5+ Year Member
Here's some pics, I just looked at everything and put it back together

I've numbered the plugs starting with one being the furthest cylinder away from the distributor, 4 being the closest. So 1 is on the right if you're standing in front of the car and 4 is on the left.

What I noticed:
All the plugs have a little indentation on the center electrode
Plug 4 had stuff/oil/crap higher up on it than other did (past the threads)
The rotor has some corrosion, i cleaned it a bit with sand paper, hoping to replace soon

I want some feedback on the condition of all the stuff. What does the colour of the plugs mean, what can I do about plug 4 being oily up top?

Plug 1

Plug 2

Plug 3

Plug 4

Rotor

Cap