Replaced my busted MTN bike with my dream bike, I officially traded teams

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For those that saw I snapped my MTN bike frame at the bottom bracket a month ago and I finally found a bike I just couldnt let get away from me. That and I have 12 months to pay it off but it will be paid off in 8 so thats even better!

The New Ride:
2008 Trek Madone 5.5
Full Dura-ace
Dura-ace PD-7810, the redesigned pedal
Sidi Genius 5 Shoes
My old Cateye OS1.1 computer, I love datalogging!

PICTURE (my dad's messy ass garage but its a place for my car):

I got an unbelievable deal on everything I bought because knowing people is really what you need; new pump, bag, shoes, bike, pedals, mini tool, CO2 refill kit, water bottle cage, new lube, and the small storage rack. I put the bike on hold early last week, I think on Tuesday because it was 150 miles away in my home town. On friday night the stores number one customer, a person who has spent over $10,000 there came in and said he wanted the bike I had on hold. He left empty handed and I got my bike on Saturday and left the store for a decent 30 mile ride because it was all I had time for.

This bike is insane, so glad that I could afford my dream bike. Now I need to get back into shape after my month out of the saddle and hit up some races in the fall!

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
f**k yea man that bike is amazing. I jusy picked up a lemond, and s**t road bikes are a lot more demanding then mtn bikes. Ha, I am trying to get into shape for cycling still.

Nice pick up

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, this bike was awesome from the first time I sat on it. I rode just about everything and most bikes just didnt feel right then I got on the new '08 Madone and it was perfect. Lemond is nice, its basically a trek but yeah they take more work than a MTN bike. But the riding is so much better when you cant get to the trails. Or if you're like me, with a busted knee that isnt allowed to ride the trails anymore.

"V"

16-0
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how much did you shell out for that bad boy?
Looks sweet :thumbs up

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea , bought the lemonds cause i wanted a intro bike. I was looking at staandard treks for like $800-900, and the lemond was $700 witht eh carbon forks and such. I still need some click in pedals and shoes. How do they go? do all the shoes click into any pedal? Or is it like sets like a certian shoe to a certian type of pedal?

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you get shoes and a set of pedals. The pedals come with a set of cleats that attach to the shoes then you snap the cleat into the pedal. To release you just rotate your foot away from the bike, they really nice for all aspects of riding, but even better on the hills. It takes some time to get used to them but if you get a set make sure you lower the spring rate down so they are easy to get out of for awhile. And make sure you get some speed before you try to get out of the pedals, most people snap in, turn the pedals once then try to get out. And when they cant get out really fast they tip over like a tree!!!

Yeah 700 is a good price for an entry level bike. My MTN bike had 10,000 miles on it before it broke so I expect to get at least 15000 out of this before anything major. Besides the lifetime frame is a nice deal and when this bike goes for $4,200, I didnt even pay anything close to that and it just came out within the last month... not something I could pass up.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ah i see, I will have to pick up a set soon. I have those straps on it now.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much did you shell out for that bad boy?
Looks sweet :thumbs up
Retail is $4200, but I know people and they gave me the major hook up... Lets just say I saved over $1000 on this bike that has been on the market for less than a month and has a 2 month back order. Not something most bike shops would do much less a Trek Store which is where I got this.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ah i see, I will have to pick up a set soon. I have those straps on it now.

Is that whole bike carbon fiber? how much does it weigh?
Yes, the frame and fork is CF, the stem, and bars will be CF next summer and the seat post is CF also. It weights 17lbs in its current condtion with my saddle bag that has the CO2 refill kit, patch kit, and wrench force multi tool. Lose the pack and it weights 15lbs, thats with the pedals, water bottle cage, and computer on it that dont come on it from the factory. So new from trek its probably close to 13-14lbs!

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and its already in the shop after 100 miles of riding. Trek sent out a bottom bracket bearing seal warning so hopefully thats it and it will be taken care of for free. If thats not it Trek will be getting some phone calls if they dont want to fully warranty my s**t. Kinda pissed right now!

I was flying up a hill out of the saddle doing 28MPH up the hill when click, click, etc. Every other turn of the crank I could feel something shifting and clicking. It better be the seal!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you replaced a mountain bike with a road bike?

good luck hitting the dirt with those tires :shock:

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well I wont be hitting the dirt anymore, as I'm not supposed to be anyways with my knee.

Some people dont see the point in the investment, but my second job will pay for it before Feb. BTW, it was the bearing seal that went out, full warranty fix that will be done on wednesday, my frist day off in 9 days, so I'll get my bike back for my 7 day vacation before I got back to work!

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thats cool but i couldn't find the time to ride that enough to own one

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and its already in the shop after 100 miles of riding. Trek sent out a bottom bracket bearing seal warning so hopefully thats it and it will be taken care of for free. If thats not it Trek will be getting some phone calls if they dont want to fully warranty my s**t. Kinda pissed right now!

I was flying up a hill out of the saddle doing 28MPH up the hill when click, click, etc. Every other turn of the crank I could feel something shifting and clicking. It better be the seal!
Damn that clicking would have had me worried. I was riding with a guy and his bottom bracket started clicking, turns out he had a fracture in the carbon fiber. Had to send the frame out to be x-rayed and repaired $$$.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn that clicking would have had me worried. I was riding with a guy and his bottom bracket started clicking, turns out he had a fracture in the carbon fiber. Had to send the frame out to be x-rayed and repaired $$$.
Yeah, that was my thought also but the bike has only 100 miles on it, if the frame broke I would b***h out trek and it wouldnt cost me a dime.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats man, I can't wait to get a new mountain bike, i'm rockin a bike that's more then 10 yrs old! Old school schimano XT equipped.