Replacement D15B7 Engine High qulity, Best price Low Milage

obot64

5+ Year Member
As noted in my oil thread; my cars engine died. I have decided that it is worth it to spend the 600-700 dollars in labor to have the engine replaced.

I am looking to order a D15B7 Engine online.

I am looking for
High qulity, (if you have ordered before you can speek to this; I don't want to buy crap.. my old engine was wonder full)
Low millage ( looking to get into somethign that is less than 80k)
Best price (price is the least of my concerns but it is still a concern)

My local salvage yard has two engines for 450, with 110k miles. In the other thread somebody mentioned they bought an engine for 550 shipped that had only 60k miles; which is why I am now considering ordering online! Epically if they have tested the engine and know it to be in good working order.

Please advise.

Eg6si93

5+ Year Member
why do a non vtec for the same price you can get a d16z6 you will have a higher displacement and vtec

obot64

5+ Year Member
Eg6si93: I don't understand what exactly the difference is? Can you help me out? I'm new here and this is the first car that i've owned completely on my own. In other words I'm a car noob who is willing to learn and understand.

how is the d16z6 better for my car?
what is vtec? and how is it better for me and my needs?
What does the normal D15B7 have or not have?

hannibalhekki

cuz i like to eat!
5+ Year Member
D16Z6 is a 1.6 liter motor while the D15B7 is a 1.5 liter. more displacement = a little more power. vtec is when two valves are open instead of one in the combustion chamber. it provides a little more air and gas equaling to more power. to get a d16z6 you'll need to wire up for vtec and have the ecu as well. if your up for it do it.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtec is when two valves are open instead of one in the combustion chamber.
:wtfsign::huh:
:shock:
I don't even know where to begin on how wrong that statement is.

the closest that statement gets to being true is on a vtec-e. Normally operates on 3 valves per cylinder (+ 1 valve is only opened a tiny bit too for better atomization) . Goes to 4.

Neither the D15B7 nor the D16Z6 mentioned above have vtec-e.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah, D15B7 and the word "quality" are mutually exclusive.

If you absolutely must have a D, go for the previously mentioned D16Z6 or jdm D15B vtec.

Maybe a nice A6/Z6 mini-me if you know a good engine builder.

The D15B7 is a throw-away engine with little toy-pretend forged play-doh rods.

obot64

5+ Year Member
I've talked to JDM Engines thanks for the link! They are charging 400 for a 50k test engine which is a great deal! Unfortunately since they are so far away shipping is more than 200 dollars (deal killer).

Does anyone know any reputable engine sellers who might be in the USA, or Closer to the South? -atlanta ga- where i am.

spidey

spidey
5+ Year Member
Good Reputatable JDm dealer

Hey!! I just read your story about the dead D15B7. The same thing happend to me last year. I was gonna do just what you are thinking, but decided to go JDM. I researched every JDM dealer I could find and there are some to avoid. The web sites may look fancy, but they sell junk!! Another ClubCivic member said i should try Noyanengines. (www.noyanusa.com) I purchased a D15b Jdm motor from them and it bolted right up!! The motor has around 45000 miles and is in great shape. Ask for jesse. Tell him Spidey sent ya!!:cool:

obot64

5+ Year Member
Thanks Spidey!!!! I ordered my engine today. D15B Jap, low mileage (they say... but who can verify that?)
Its 1996 engine... cost me $730 with shipping! OMG But hopefully it will be worth it. 6months unlimited mileage guarantee!

spidey

spidey
5+ Year Member
congrats on your new engine

Hey!! just read your message. I have the same engine (D15B) in my 93 hatch. When you look for parts
make sure you order for a D16y7 out of a 1996 LX. The D15B is an OBD2 engine. If you have ODB1 ,will have to use your Alternator and distributor and intake manifold. They both bolt right up!! This will make the engine ODB1. Also you will need to get new spark plug wires. The ones out of the D15B7 won't fit. Headers from a D15B7 will fit. I used my JDM headers from my old motor and they fit. You made a smart choice with this engine. I went down to Chantilly VA , met Jesse, picked up my engine and saw the very clean storage area. Wow!!
P.S. the photo that is with my profile is the actual photo of my D15B with ODB1 parts on it before I installed it into my 93 hatch!!